Bridge collapse

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 23, 2013.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Well I drove up to B-Ham tonight to present to the 4-Corners group and just as I'm about to speak my wife tries calling. Hmmm? I think, she knows I'm giving a presentation tonight why would she call? Then she calls again and again and again and each time I just turn it off. Luckily someone let me know what was happening and the folks at the meeting let me take a quick break to call her back. I missed the collapse by about 30 minutes or so but to her that was way to close not to call to make sure I was ok. The drive home was fairly easy with little traffic really. Heck it was a lot better than tulip traffic for that matter.

I listened to the radio all the way home and the fact that at this point there are no fatalities seems amazing to me.

Andrew Lawrence and Flyborg like this.
  2. B.Willis

B.Willis New Member

They need to just build a ramp. Duke of Hazzard that sh*t

3. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

Ira gets extra bonus points for taking all this in stride and still delivering an excellent program for our club. Thanks Ira!

4. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Bummer. There goes my Lummi ling shortcut. Glad no serious injuries.

5. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Yeah good thing no deaths . Must have been terrifying riding that bridge down.

seriously though ...... We all know it was an inside job by Bush. No way just a semi truck hitting a girder could have taken the whole bridge down:-/

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I saw this flashed on CNN last night. Can't find anymore on this from my neck of the woods. But if I wanted to see anything newsy I could watch that stupid trial Of that bitch Jody Arias. That seems more important than real news. NOT.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I saw a report that 72,000 cars a day use that bridge thats a lot of headaches for drivers for a while.

jesse, (from a dude ranch in Colorado where 20 cars a day and 60 horses go by the road in front of our lodge)

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Thank god no one was seriously injured. Amazing, if you know that bridge and how many people drive over it every day. And this happened just after rush hour. This could have been much more serious.

One more thing, I apologize to the board for going off on dryflylarry. I was shaken up over what happened. My wife was on the Riverside Bridge when the I5 bridge collapsed and was giving me an eye witness account of the event from her cell phone. As you may understand she was very upset as she was watching the people in the vehicles in the water struggle to get out. I could only think of the worst.

We were lucky. My wife made a last minute decision to go to the store on her way home from a meeting in Mt. Vernon and decided to take Burlington Blvd. instead of I5. That small insignificant decision could very well have saved her life.

From a different point of view; perhaps this will keep many of the city folks away from our valley over the holiday weekend, awesome. I hate city folk.

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

NPR is reporting this morning that the bridge was built in the mid-1950s from a design that's nearly a century old. In an interview, one official suggested a replacement bridge could take 2-3 years to build.

K

10. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

dryflylarry likes this.
  11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

It certainly won't be easy or quick to replace. Nor will it be cheap. My guess is it will cost in the neighborhood of 100 million if they build a new bridge from scratch. There is talk of replacing the collapsed span until a new bridge can be built.

This valley is going to be a mess traffic wise for a long time. Glad I both live and work on the north side of the bridge and have little need to visit anything south of here.

12. martyg

martyg Active Member

If anyone has a sneak route feel free to PM me. I travel between Gig Harbor and Glacier a bit. Thanks!

13. Josh

Josh dead in the water

There aren't really any "sneak routes" to get from here to there. Everything is on the map and will be known by anyone trying to go north or south. Unless you have an airplane, there's no way around it.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  14. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Timely that you have a new fly shop up there too. Keeping it stocked might be tougher.
    Good luck Northerners.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  15. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

The Oversized load, was it Todd Hoffman on his way to Alaska with a new piece of mining equipment??

NCL and Bonefish Jack like this.