Bridge collapse

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 23, 2013.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

And I thought we were talking about bridges.

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

People have been trying for 30+ yrs to get a rapid transit system in the Puget Sound region, but no one ever wanted to pay for it. At least we have the start of one now. I went to San Fransico last fall cause there were cheap flights into Oakland. We took Bart into town and used public transit all weekend and had a great time, no need for a car. By the way, if you are ever in San Fransico, and you like ciopino you have to go to the Tadich Grill, best I've ever had.

Bert and Kent Lufkin like this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

We're past bridges, we're on to beam transportation...

That would be damned handy. You could put on your fishing gear and beam to and from anywhere on the planet you want to fish. That should alleviate some of the over-crowding on rivers.

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

From " Rivers of Empire"... "Their conformity, their lack of self confidence, and their thirst outweigh any resentment they may feel toward power. The masses will, in gratitude agree to make no trouble, the rewards of acquiescence are so high".

I'd better go work in my garden, I'm waxing philosophical again.

5. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

While rapid transit systems are nice ( lived in WASHDC and used it almost daily), they are exuberantly expensive and world wide they're almost always operate in the red, many substantially.

ribka likes this.
  6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I'd have a hard time cramming my pontoon boat and all my assorted gear with me when boarding a train. :D

7. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Your right Brookie - It does take two to tango. Unfortunately, nobody wants to step out on the dance floor right now so there's no a lot of tangoing going on. I should prefix this by saying I cant stand either party but here is my observation of the Republicans right now. There is no room for even slightly independent thinkers. If you step out of the party lockstep you will have grover nordquist or the NRA actively campaining against you. Rush Limbaugh and fox news will slam you. They have swung way too far right for me. Bring back the Roosevelt/Goldwater type of Republican party and I would get on board.

wlai likes this.
  8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

You raise an important point Charlie: should we premptively begin replacing infrastructure BEFORE it catastrophically fails, or defer that maintenance until it actually does fail?

I get that many among us will howl in disagreement about how any such programs will only add to the long-term debt.
    To employ a poor analogy, not spending money to repair or replace bridges or other infrastructure long past the end of its useful life is like saving money by not changing the oil in your car. Sure, every little bit helps balance a teetery household budget, but at what long term cost?

The way I see it, we were incredibly lucky that no lives were lost in the Skagit bridge collapse. We may not be so lucky next time. How many deaths are an acceptable price to pay for the false savings of deferred maintenance?

K

Jim Wallace and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  9. Olive bugger

Too true. But there are alternatives.

10. Olive bugger

AH HA! Chris Johnson fishes with garden hackle.

Heretic!

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Ok kids, I'll say this once, and once only. I'm tired of the political rants. Dryflylarry and Kent Lufkin come to mind right now (both have been edited). May have missed more. I'm going to start parking those who keep tossing jabs out. This thread has been productive, but the R vs D bashes won't solve anything except to flair debate.

Dave Kaiserman likes this.
  12. Brookie_Hunter

I agree getting on top of the matter instead of chasing from behind should be the priority. But not counting the last few years, it wasn't because of the lack of money. State spending was steadily increasing year in and year out for the most part but the politicians chose to spend it elsewhere while the backlog of critical infrastructure projects grew steadily longer and longer. The same problem exist at the federal level. Despite not having enough to fund what's already on the books, they go out and make even more obligations with no funding stream to pay for it. Very frustrating...

13. Brookie_Hunter

I'll politely reply that one can make the same exact argument about the otherside and that MSNBC, CNN and the host of others are equally strident. Bring back some even slightly conservative democrats and i could be happy. :)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  14. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Agreed :) - A middle party with conservative Dems and moderate Reps would get my vote.....

I hear you Jerry this is my last comment on the subject but I have to say that is is refreshing to have a political discussion on the internet and not have it deteriorate into a hyper emotional spaz fest. I chalk it up to the superior intelligence of fly fishing people :p

Kent Lufkin and Lugan like this.
  15. Brookie_Hunter

Ditto. I've said enough I think. :oops: Plus I have a date with myself on the SF...