Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Broke my Loop Spey rod

Spey 
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hal Eckert 
#1 ·
I was out on the Stilly having just released my 22nd pink of the week. A quick roll cast out in front to get the Aqualux head on top of the water, flip back over my head and then shoot forward in the Norwegian style as demonstrated by Leif Stavmo. As I was transitioning from back cast to forward thrust, there was a heart-wrenching crack that could be heard by all on the river. Several gentlemen took their hats off and placed them over their hearts. There was also one audible, "Ut-Oh."

It had broken just above the handle, but below the feral about two inches. The sudden release of force had sent a wave of whipping action up to the tip and the last 4 inches of the tip snapped off. As I stood their holding just a handle and looking at a jumble of broken rod and line floating in the river, I was mortified.

What sin could I have committed to deserve this? My buddy Jim was very supportive in my time of need. Un-characteristic of Jim, but he is my friend and he knew I needed him. His kind words were, "Geez, you always take such good care of your rods. What could have happened?" Indeed, what had happened?

I was using a running line with a 400-grain Aqualux head. The Spey line for that 12-foot, 8 wt, yellow line has a head weight of 525 grains (according to Rio catalog, 2003). I always pack away my rods with care, taping ferrules and still checking to see if they have come loose.

I had just mentioned to another member here that I had never asked about a warranty on my rods. I bought them according to how they felt. I didn't know what to do. So I trotted off to Kaufmann's. Ryan was very empathetic and told me that Loop's have a lifetime warranty. So he is shipping it off. Ryan, my hero, but he has weird ideas about what to put on the end of a fly line. (Don't worry Ryan. Your secret is safe with me as long as my rod's return is quick and pleasant.)

I have to admit I am a little gun shy now. I have asked my doctor for a referral to a therapist to deal with posttraumatic shock. What will I do when I return to the Stilly in morning? I tell ya what I'm going to do. I'm taking my 14 foot 9 wt Loop out there and I'm going to catch some more damn Pink's. And if this one breaks, I'm going to personally hand it to Goran Anderson in Sweden.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

See less See more
#3 ·
45 years! Holy cow! I break a rod every 3 months. And I'm always very careful, never broken one in a car door or at home- always on the river. I have seen my friend break his Scott spey rod twice fishing sink tips. Too much power transfer for those big (yet oh so delicate) sticks.

#5 ·
Yes have to watch those heavy sink tips on the speys, right now I think I am pushing my luck. It cannot be my fine spey casting form that is stopping them from shattering thats for sure. Almost broke a graphite after sliding an iced over clay bank one time though, that was close to breaking my favorite single hander steelie rod
I would have cried if that happened.

LOL

BG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.