I was fishing an incredibly beautiful river a few weeks ago, on the final day of its season. I had been looking forward to the quiet, the scenery, and the fish. (I had even seen a small black bear crossing the road on my way there. I figured that was a favorable omen.) I sat on my tailgate while I got my gear ready. When it was time to go, I closed the lift gate on the rod. (I keep telling myself that I really had thought about that possibility, but somehow along the way, the rod had slipped.) No recourse but to take my 4/5 wt. At least I brought to hand a 15" native cutthroat. When I got home, I called Loomis. Evidently the blanks for this rod are looooong gone. I thought it was toast. With nothing to lose, I tried a homemade fix. I shaved a dowel to fit into the hollow of the rod right at the crunch point. I then wrapped thread around the wound by chucking the end of the rod section into my drill. After an epoxy coating it seemed good to go. I hit the SF last night. Other than the fact that the flow was about 2 CFM, the tiny fish bit, the evening was warm and best of all: the rod worked!