Broken Rod Tales

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chief, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

x3...

2. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

that was exactly the case the leader was touching the carpet and the vacuum picked it up

3. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

It sucks when that happens...

Kcahill likes this.
  4. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Irene Rinhart Park, Yak River Ellensburg. Late 90's. Middle of Summer high flows. First time landing at the the boat launch. 2 brand new fly rods resting with tips on the starboard side of the bow. My 60 some year old father at the oars. At the last min my dad yells "get out of the boat and stop us". I dive out over the starboard side of the bow, hang on to the boat and try to dig my feet into the rocks as the boat drags me past the boat launch, but i get it stopped before the bridge. Feel pretty good until I look up and see 2 broken tips of a Scott and Sage fly rods. Glad both were covered under warranty.

5. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

I just got my rod back from sage broke the very tip it was about 5 wks to get it back , very happy to have it back!
    Kelly Michelsen

6. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

Broke a brand new 8# TFO BVK on its first trip out. Was yarding in a bright chum and leaned on it a bit hard.
    Still landed the fish.
    ouch.jpg ouch perp.jpg

7. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Broke 3 rods this year!

Sage 690 Z-axis
    Scott A3
    Winston GVX

Not my greatest year!

8. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

That is certainly the best excuse for breaking a rod that I have ever heard!! I'd do it too if I had the opportunity. Have broken a good bunch of rods but none were worth what your's was worth.

9. JSpecc

JSpecc New Member

Broke one yesterday while horsing a big pink into the net. It was real early in the float, and the one time I only have one rod in the boat. Not too much fun rowing to the take out on a river nearly empty of people and full of fish...

10. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
    My first post, ain't this fitting...

I must say I am hard on my equipment, some of it my fault, be it stupidity or whatnot, some of it just bad luck, this one qualifies as stupidity.

The best way I have broken a rod, that was not on a fish, would have to be by anchor. A friend and I were driving back from the Colorado to our hotel room and decided it would be fun to do some cookies in a freshly snowed upon parking lot by Pump House, and it was fun. We made a few runs around the EMPTY parking lot and camp site loop and headed on our way. I was about half way to highway 9 when I slammed on my brakes and said "Oh SHIT, our rods are in the back". I hopped out, took a look and my TFO 5wt was turned into a 9 piece rod. I had forgotten that I had my anchor in the back and it rolled over my rod several times. My buddy hopped out to take a look at his Sage and it looked fine, the next day he was lining it up and, snap, the tip broke off.

Lesson learned, I never put rigged rods in the bed of my truck, never.

Robert

11. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    Brand new Orvis rod. Fishing trip to the St. Joe's to break it in. Cruising the road, could swear I saw a gorgeous seam just before the right hand turn onto the bridge to the dirt road and the upper St. Joe. Pulled over, pulled on waders and boots with cleats, started down the rock filled hill and of course fell. Slide about ten feet. Rod tip broke. Adding insult to injury, fish jumped right in front of me.

Broken a few rods since then, but this one hurt...rod, butt, ego.

Of course, there was the cliche break, friend backing my car over my rod...but that is another story.