Pattern Brown Heron Spey

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

This is a variation using bronze mallard for hackle instead of heron.
    I find they both fish very well, the bronze mallard being readily available so it's great to have an alternate. I'm showing two different wing positions depending on your preferences.

tag- fine oval tinsel, silver
    tail- GP with Indian Crow
    body- 1/3 florescent orange floss followed by orange seal
    hackle- bronze mallard tied in where seal starts, 4 turns is enough
    throat- 2 turns of dyed orange teal flank
    wing- bronze mallard

McNeese

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Dave, this is the most poorly tied fly I've ever seen. How could you post it? Oops, maybe you didn't. Nevermind. :rofl: J/K. Picture didn't show. Did you upload to the website by chance? Would love to see it.

3. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

Sorreeeee! It took me a minute to redo the photo. The first try was too big, and I failed to notice that. :beathead:

4. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Dave
    Nice speys, Do you burn the mallard with bleach prior
    to striping it from the quil???

Speyflyfisher

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

6. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I`m going to proceed cautiously with this one .

So... you revive a five year old flytying thread here to post a link to a two year old thread over there , and start a new thread on a forum elsewhere for what ? Why not just try to contact Mr. McNeese yourself ? Face to face ? Ask him hard questions ? You both live in the same state . He should`nt be that hard to track down .

Or do you just enjoy the mud slinging ?

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Not at all Brian. If you'll check the new postings (from today) one of the UK fellows having 'problems' with Dave just put up a long post covering his current circumstances. If this were a 'one off' I'd just raise and eyebrow, but it's a reoccurring theme (go back to the link and look at the posting dates). And as for directly contacting Mr. McNeese I've been down that road twice for fellows with the same issue(s).

Given this UK based Fora is one of, if not the, largest going, this is NOT the type of 'advertising' US based companies/custom builders need to be floating around the Internet. These fellows spend major dollars (or should I say Pounds) purchasing gear out of the US and they're not the least bit shy at the 'Name and Shame' game. Several PNW E-tailers do a thriving business sending product across the Pond (flyfishusa, Gorge, Red Shed to name a few) and get great reviews/recommendations.

As to why I've asked, Dave has been a very high profile individual in our area for many years, and this type of 'Press' he doesn't need. That said, I do take your point about the (original) dating of this thread. I knew that Dave is, or rather was, a frequent poster here and I just did a mental pass at looking at the dates on this thread. My Bad.

8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

OK , fair enough Fred . Thanks for the clarification . I apologize if I`ve offended you .

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Not to worry, no offense intended, none taken. Dave has been a PNW 'icon' for many, many years ... and somethings going wrong. No clue what, but still 'wrong.' When these types of post start flooding over from 'European Boards' to ours .....
    fae