Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Budget Spey

Spey 
5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  4sallypat 
#1 ·
I know, lots of past threads on the topic. But rods/reels/sales are changing all the time. I'm all set gear-wise, but my friend on a tight budget wants to pick up a 7wt Spey and reel. Any recommendations I can pass along? I think the Cabela's Lsi feels pretty good. Red's has Spey packages that seem reasonable. Any standouts in the intro-level gear these days? Thanks!

#4 ·
You can't go wrong with a Cabelas LSI. I love the 8wt and 5wt that I have. They do all that I want and more. They typically go on sale this time of year for 40-50% off of normal price I purchased each of mine for around $150 or less.

I have a work associate who has all of the TLR line up from Cabelas and has purchased several for $60 or about that. He absolutely loves them and has casted all of the big name rods except loop. He has great technique and with a well matched line can do impressive things with his rods.

I agree with getting a good line that is well matched to the Rod. There are many of them out there.

One other thought to consider is to use the OPST commando head on a single handed Rod (my experience is that a 10' Rod works better). Using the fighting but as a very short bottom "grip" will so some impressive things with a 300 gr. Head and a 7 wt. Rod. If you go that rout, your buddy can see if he likes the Spey game for the price of a head and hand full of tips and flies, that if purchased used on Spey pages would get him set up for under $100, assuming he already has a reel with an extra spool. Use Berkley big game 50# for the running line initially and then get the OPST Lazer line once hooded on the two handed game. If it turns out that he doesn't like the 2-handed game, he can likely recover his investment within about a week.

G
#5 ·
Another here for the LSI rods. Can't go wrong with them. The hardware isn't as nice as the higher end rods, but if you get them lined right they will perform just as well as more expensive rods. Excellent value for the price. I have three of them.

#11 ·
In my opinion (and remember when it comes to rods, it often comes down to personal choice), the Echo TR 7130 is a great rod. Not sure it's quite "entry level" as there are definitely cheaper options out there, but certainly is in the "modestly priced" category. The fit and finish are pretty basic but it is a wonderful fishing tool. I own a bunch of more expensive rods that I enjoy fishing, but find the TR 7130 in my hands more than any other single rod. I've fished it with a Ballistic Vector 7/8, an older generation Airflo Delta 7/8 multi-tip and a Airflo Skagit Compact in 540 grains, and found all of them to be very solid matches with that rod.

#13 ·
There are quite a few lower cost 2-handers on the market today. All of them will make good spey casts. That said, none of them are going to have really good cork or cosmetics, but they will get the job done. However, each manufacturer's rod will have a different feel and action and the different series (models) of rods from the same manufacturer will have a different action and feel. The Cabela's, Echo, Redington, TFO, Orvis, St. Croix all make good casting moderate/or lower priced 2-handers. There are others, but these are the makes I've cast.

What is best for a particular person really comes down to personal preference in casting feel, rod action, and often type of line he is going to use on the rod. Because I prefer to use mid-to long-belly lines I prefer the TFO's over the others simply because they have the largest grain window and the tip doesn't wimp out on a 60' or longer belly line.

Do yourself a favor and talk to Poppy at Red Shed in Idaho, tell him what you are looking for, the size flies you intend to fish, the type of rod action you prefer, and he will set you up with something that you will like. When it comes to your friend, have him call Poppy and talk to him.

I still think Rob Allen's advice to buy a good used 2-hander is a better way to go, but it is his money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.