Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Build a Spey Setup.

Spey 
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on this setup. . . Redington CPX Switch 8wt at 11'3" or TFO Deer Creek 7-8wt at 13ft with a Ross CLA #5 reel or the Redington Delta 9/10. That would be my base and then I would need a line. Is that reel large enough to hold a good spey/switch line and heavy enough to balance the rod? Is there a formula or recomendation on how to estimate what grain weight is right for me. I really like the MOW tip line-up with the running line. How much of a difference would a switch rod over a spey rod make a difference? What do you guys think? Sorry I know im a pain in the ass.:confused:

#3 ·
I haven't cast either one of those rods, but hear good things about both. There is definitely a difference between a switch and a full size spey in terms of what you are trying to accomplish, or intend to fish. I don't have a switch rod, but wish I did for nymphing from time to time. With that said, the reels you are asking about, would probably work, but you might consider going one size larger for an 8 wt. set up depending on the line you choose. The advantage would be in the amount of backing you can put on it, along with a larger diameter head if you are looking to line it with a skagit set up. As for the difference between spey and switch, I'm not sure how I feel on this. I learned on and own only full spey rods, and love it. I have known people who learned on a switch, only to buy a full size spey in the end and discover they don't use their switch as much anymore. That's just been what I've witnessed and others surely will have different opinions.

As for the grain weight for the line to rod, each rod will have a different grain window and different capabilities depending on what you line it with. Start with what rod you want, then google the type of line that fits best with that rod, or call/visit the shop you purchase the rod for recommendations.

#8 ·
I haven't cast either one of those rods, but hear good things about both.

As for the grain weight for the line to rod, each rod will have a different grain window and different capabilities depending on what you line it with. Start with what rod you want, then google the type of line that fits best with that rod, or call/visit the shop you purchase the rod for recommendations.
For a quick check hit RIO's and AirFlo's web sites. Both have extensive listing of rods and their product line match up recommendations.

#4 ·
Hey thanks Steffan. The only benefits from a switch rod I would be looking for is like you said its a lot more practical for nymphing and also I think it would be easier to fish a hole if the river isnt wide enough for you to make large swings and throw a lot of line out of the tip. Better for short distance. The rivers I fish arent overly wide and in the summer definitley shrink. As far as the Reel size you feel for an 8wt line and rod I should be leaning towards a 10/11 size reel? I was already planning to go at least one line size above the line rating, but ive heard sometimes its nessecary to go up 2 or 3. Thanks again for your help.

#5 ·
It's more about the capacity than the line size. It's kind of hard to know for sure sometimes, but the diameter of the reel I have on my 8 wt. is 4.25" and that gives me I think about 175 yds of backing with 30 lb. running line and a 600 grain Skagit head. On my 6 wt., I have a reel that is 4" in diameter, which is technically a 8-10wt reel I believe, and that gives me about 150 yds. of backing with 20 lb. running line and a 390 grain Compact Scandi line. I have a buddy that uses the same 4" reel on his 8 wt. switch, with a Beulah Elixir line, and I know he wishes he had a little more room on it. It will suffice though, until he runs into the fish that takes it all away from him.

#6 ·
That CLA5 will be fine for either rod mentioned.

If you have plans to nymph then a switch would definitely be my choice.

A pretty good line choice for swinging or nymphing with that switcher is the Ambush 12wt (500gns)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.