Building a casting railing - construction ideas?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jim Speaker, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Oh Jim, wish we had time and whiskey tonight...that boat oozes mojo. So many stories...
    Not the least of which will be the "tale of the %$#@+* 2" ball" :rofl:

I'm glad the "Bras de Fer" has found a home with you.
    Bob.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Jim, standing inside that hatch and using it to brace yourself is a great idea. I had thought of that but was not sure of the dimensions of the hatch or of the Jim. I think that is a cool looking boat that you're getting from Bob, congrats.

3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    With your blessing, of course, "Bras de Fer" will be painted on the bow by Leesa once I give it the new coat of paint. The Iron Arm lives on.

Yeah, that 2" hitch ball was epic. How much you wanna sell that saw for? :rofl:

Just got back from a little pleasure cruise around Lake Sawyer with the 5 horse and as you said, she didn't leak a drop. Motor ran like a champ once I figured out there was no need to engage the choke to start 'er up... too easy.

Edit: oh, but I'm gonna install a little winch on that flatbed... my bad disc doesn't appreciate me humping a boat up onto a trailer. ;)

4. AndreD

AndreD Member

Are you just looking for some support to cast? If so and it this should work whether in the bow, middle or stern. Find some flush mounted recepticals (ones for post mounted seats come to mind) then find the alum or SS tubing that will fit the mounts. You can find alum fitings that are used in commercial railings either from a whitewater raft company ( I know Down River Equipment) carries them or look in the Mcmaster Carr catalog or online. You should be able to make something they use for the casting horns for the stern seat of driftboats, in fact I think Hyde makes something yo may be able to buy that is removeable. When I had my smaller jet, I thought of doing the same things as this.

5. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Now that I've been in the boat, the only rails I could imagine installing would be low and would extend from about mid to a couple feet shy of the bow. It would be a good boarding handle for the front deck, and an "oh shit" railing if you're doing something like standing on the mid-seat to cast. I can definitely see bow casting on flat stillwater though, think I'm gonna look into a bow-mount for the minn kota, the more weight forward with the 5hp on back, the better. I should just store the anchors for each of my boats in the front of this boat when soloing.

6. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Regarding the battery ,buy a plastic battery box which will contain any acid that gets out. from west marine or whom ever. If your gonna build a railing do it in stainless, but the problem I see is where would you mount any type of railing on that boat that has ANY type of strength?

7. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

75% of drownings have their fly open.

8. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    It would start from the mid-seat, mounted with a 60-degree stainless component, level off about 18" above the deck, and end a couple feet shy of the bow, where I would need to just add a little reinforcement underneath the ply and bolt on for a solid front mount. Not interested in trying to mount to the aluminum. Whatever final configuration is will be based on a bit more usage, not sure yet, but I'll go ahead and do something helpful when I break 'er down for a paintjob.