Burkhiemer

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Chris Johnson, Dec 1, 2012.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I have tried the 55' w.a. on it and it's an weird line..I love the ff and wa's but not the 55 so much...the 55' 8/9 wa would just rock on some casts...like hammer time out with 15 big strips of running line out...tight loop and bang the rod at the end..unfortunetly..that would happen like every ten casts with the other 9 being anywhere from suck to ok...Very frustrating line in the end...
    So took a carron 9/10 (carrons are light and you need to go up one line weight to match the 8/9 nextcast) I had Tim up at M&Y in b.c. chop the running line off and cut it at the front so I could put tips on @ 80gr. You can call him at the vancouver shop weekdays to get the exact info. on that if you want....That line is a very nice fishing line...It doesn't bang the reel like the wa did but it casts each time nice and fishes nice..distance is what your skill level takes you.

With either set up I could use delta tips and throw any size fly I wanted...with the dry tip on it was just butter with a dry or wet...

Hope that helps...rod is very nice...feels like your fishing a 13' just about...

2. Hippie Tom

Hippie Tom New Member

Thanks for the info on the carron 9/10. Just to be sure I understand, was it the 65 footer that you had altered?

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

No it was the 55' one, at that length you can do tip work similar to delta's etc. at least that's my understanding...I just know they are a great line..I wish the 55' wa was like the other wa's...but in a pinch I would go with it if I had too..

If you want much better info. from a guy who understands all that call Tim at 604 639 2278 that's the vancouver Micheal and Youngs shop...We did a shindig up on the squamish checking out all the carron lines etc. I know he was throwing a 75' on my rod..and liked it..

4. Hippie Tom

Hippie Tom New Member

Thanks again. Really appreciate the info.

5. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

Chris,

was that Trevor's rod? If so, having cast it years ago I truly believe there is something else going on with that blank and have since come to the conclusion that KB himself rubbed modulus enhancing potion into the graphite and hired little angels to assist your line flat through the air until it hits the reel, every time. Hands down greatest rod I've ever cast. Would have liked to make it up but went fishing instead.

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

8152-4 likes the 7-8 fall favorite 70 if you like a light load, if you like a heavier load try the 8-9 70' the rod loves them both...

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

No, it was another buddies rod, and I totally agree, sweetest rod I've cast. To bad you couldn't make it, but I can't think of a better excuse!

8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have the 9143 (that I got in a swap with Paul) , and even though it`s a great rod , it`s been relegated to special duty . It`s my Thompson stick - period . The rod will overpower most of the fish I encounter up north , unless I start spending more time on the Skeena .

Funny thing about this rod though , even though I`ve never strung up a line on it that she has`nt liked , I`ve yet to put a line on it that she loves . Any suggestions ? The lines I`ve tried are the 8/9 Delta Long , SA XLT 8/9 , SA Classic 9 wt , Delta 9/10 , and a CND 9/10 . I`ve not tried any skagit or scandi lines on it yet .

I`ll have this rod out on the T tomorrow , and I know where there is a very large fish lurking (as of Thursday) . Here`s hoping .

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Brian, if you can (well for that matter even find) the next size up XLT I think you'll find that rod 'rocks.' The 9143 needs to be slightly 'over lined.' Surprised the Delta 9/10 didn't sing.

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Thanks Fred .
    The problem with the Delta that I have , is that it`s an old , 1st generation line that has the rope-like running line . The weight is good , but the casts get bogged down by the thickness of the running line . I`ve thought about chopping the running line , putting a loop on the rear end of the belly portion of the line , and looping it onto any of the other running lines I already own .

But with the Thompson season running down , now is not the time for experimentation - as much as I enjoy doing that sort of thing .

11. T Dave

T Dave Member

Brian, burkie does recomend the delta 9-10. I had that line, and in a few other sizes and found the stock running line cable-like. Got great results chopping them off and splicing in airflo ridgeline running line # 30. Very slick and no annoying bump.

That said, if I was looking to get a new line for that rod,the Vector 9/10 @ 60' and 650 grains would be the one. Superb lines and the stock running line is very nice

12. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

don't like deltas never have.. their loops are ugly I much preferred the big old wedge shape of the windcutters... I have had a 9143-3 for about 12 years and rarely use it anymore and i cannot imagine a time where it would do something that a 13'3" rod wouldn't do well enough. That said i cannot remember casting a line that the 9143-3 didn't love!! 7-8-9, 8-9-10 and 9-10-11 windcutters 8-9 and 9-10 deltas 9-10 midspey 9/10 Winter authority 55. the list goes on.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

If the problem is 'just' the shooting line cut off the head ( 2 or 3 inches below the end of the taper) and install a loop. You can get very good 'pre-looped' shooting lines to replace "The Rope." That said, the question, given the age of the line: "Is it even worth the trouble?"