Burkie owners...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Dec 27, 2010.

1. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I was once of the opinion that the ideal 3X Skagit setup would be 2x for the head and 1X for the tip. Which meant, for my 13 ft rod, I would need to cut my 15 ft tips down to 13 feet. Then one day the light bulb went on when I realized those skagit compact heads are only 25 ft long. 13x3=39,,,25+15=40,,,close enough!

For me,,,that equates to PITA! I don't want to suffer the frustration of having to figure out the timing of a different rod. I'm too old for that. I want to be able to enjoy every hour on the river, regardless of the rod. I want consistency.

But, to each his own.

2. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Golfman your suffering from a classic case of MKSitis. Once one becomes used to casting a MKS its tough to pick up another rod and cast it. Classic symptoms are thinking about casting way to much and feeling you are working way to hard to make a good cast. Its a classic case. MKSitis works both ways. Ive seen Burkie owners pick up an MKS and instantly display classic symptoms of reverse MKSitis. Another dead giveaway is the puzzling look in there eyes and the shaking side to side of there head as they hand the rod back to you.
    While I havent cast the 7134 I have an 8141 and have cast several other Burkheimers. They are truly great rods. I think your just going to have to get your casting stroke dialed in and get in a groove with that rod. Ill bet it took you a little bit to get really comfortable with your MKS also. So spend some more time with it and see how it goes. Maybe it isnt a good rod for you and theres nothing wrong with that. And the only cure for MKSitis Ive found is to just keep fishing my MKSs'....... Kevin

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Salmo, don't go all snob bitch on us OK?...Kerry rolls his own blanks and makes the rods from scratch..yes that is a huge factor into what makes these rods so appealing...But don't think that makes The Roberto's of the world some kind of dumbasses...They know what blankatolligy just as much as Kerrydoes..

What always bothers me is...I asked a pretty simple question...How do you burkie owners cast a faster rod? I honestly have to wonder if any of you who own these rods, do so for anything other then bragging rights!!! I know Yee knows how to cast..but WTF.....I'm no spey o rama guy but it doesn't take much talent to figure out this rod is a fast action scandi and dry line rod that does pretty damn well with a skagit too..

The real difference between this rod and Bob's "christmas tree's" are the MKS will pimp out a skagit to the backing with less effort then the burkie......both rods will cast it to the backing knot in the right hands...a faster rod takes a more powerful stop and i.e. more power....
    With a scandi head or dry line IMHO and I could be wrong as I haven't tried one yet..but it feels like the burkie will have the edge over the MKS....both rods again will throw it to the backing knot...oh and I should add these are shooting heads and running lines so 140-150' not your 110' nextcasts...in the right hands..and here I think the action of the burkie would be a little bit better..

the buttholes that feed me the 540 compact works great and no other.. makes me wonder if you can cast further then 70' and know dick about what your talking about or just happy lemingly follow what it says on the website? I ask this as I wonder if you've actually tried any other lines on there? If you have why would you think that the 570 which loads the rod better and makes casting easier and longer be a bad choice?

Again, what am I missing here...I'm asking as I was hoping someone might come back with..."this faster action rod will work better if you tighten up your cast and use a shorter more powerful stroke" Something like that would have been great....

I use what works for me...but I also don't want to be some old toad who only casts one stick because that's all I can..growing as a fisherman and caster hopefully doesn't have to end as you get older... I want to still be out there with the young guns throwing a decent line in the wind...when I'm an older fart...otherwise I may as well just grab my gear again and be happy just to out fish you...

I don't get this arguing over which maker you think is the bigger spey god....wouldn't it instead be much better to just sit down between these two guys and listen to what and how's of their rod building experiences? I have tons of respect for both guys period...

Casting tips appreciated...kindly keep the rest to yourselves though OK!!!

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Kevin...THANK YOU!!! was too busy blowing a gasket and missed your post first time around...That is EXACTLY what I'm thinking as well...

5. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

I rarely use a Skagit head. Most of the time Scandinavian head and sometime mid-belly head. Burkie are brilliant when comes to angular change during for example Single Spey. Rods like 8134-4 or 9145-4 are more progressive then 3 pc rods but the blank still flex to the butt section.
    A 8139-3 Burkheimer was made for the first time in 2002 and MKS was later modeled on this rod; strong tip with solid flex in the butt. The difference is that non of MKS is so smooth and refined like 8139-3 or 7133-3.

6. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I will try a Snowbee 1D line on my new Burki for a line change and report back.

7. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

The MKS was later modeled on this design. REALLY> Where are you getting that info from Salmo? It would seem to me that the MKS was derived from Mike Kinney and Bob Meiser collaborating on a rod design and tweaking it to get it just right. A final design that probably took a couple of years and a few tries to get it just right before the MKS line was offered to the public. And saying that none of the MKSs' are smooth and refined as the Burkies is simply your personal opinion.... which doesnt go far with me.... and in my opinion is just a bunch of smooth and refined BS ..... Kevin

8. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I rarely use a Skagit head. Most of the time Scandinavian head and sometime mid-belly head. Burkie are brilliant when comes to angular change during for example Single Spey. Rods like 8134-4 or 9145-4 are more progressive then 3 pc rods but the blank still flex to the butt section.

This makes sense to me...I can see that and am really interested in trying a compact scandi and a fall fav. on her....I'm also really interested in what a good old delta multi tip would be like?

A 8139-3 Burkheimer was made for the first time in 2002 and MKS was later modeled on this rod; strong tip with solid flex in the butt. The difference is that non of MKS is so smooth and refined like 8139-3 or 7133-3.

Don't agree with that though..mks and burkies are apples and oranges..very different flexs and as said, MKS is Mike Kinney Special and the design is very different...If you feel um next to each other there are some similarities..when you line um up and cast um (with a skagit) those similarities end...

All that said....of all the rods I've cast lately...while two very different rods....this burkie is very interesting....I feel like I'm driving a Ferrari but in a 35 mph zone....
    The MKS is like going over a bump on a dirt road four wheeling down to your favorite spot....and your just waiting for that "Wham" when you land...

9. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

I'm also really interested in what a good old delta multi tip would be like?

Brilliant:)

BTW, on Guideline PT or 3D heads in 460+ gr one can cast pretty large fly, if needed, and 3D ( triangle taper) int-S2-S4 drops a fly in a jiffy.

10. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Might Salmo have aquired this top secret info from a left wing liberal blog ?? Or maybe straight from Obama himself:rofl:

11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

1. the 570 is too heavy for the 7134-4 and WILL cause a loss in performance. You cannot pick a line heavier than the rod is supposed to cast and then complain about it's performance!

The rod was designed to cast the 6-7 mid spey perfectly ( and it does) and capable of casting the 7-8 delta it'a also incredible with the compact 480 scandi.

I think our steelhead rivers are the perfect location for a high performance fishing tool, in fact they require it.. Our rivers are NOT 35 mile per hour zones,

if you want more performance out of a fast action rod with a skagit line? slow down just like with a moderate action rod.

12. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

I'm just glad we have Kerry, Bob and Gary who make such great rods for us all.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I just got an email from Gary about a 2004 ACR that is built on a Burkie blank. He gave me some sugggestions on what to try, scandi and skagit. I'm excited to start the dialing in process. Other than that, the only help I can offer you, Golfman, is that when you are ready to give it away...I'm ready to give it a home!

14. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

2002.....Wow I got my 8139-3 in 2000 after casting a friends the fall of 99, that is one sweet stick with a old xlt 7/8 .....not just for the short stuff:thumb:

15. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Popcorn for sale?