Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Burrito help needed ASAP

NFR 
4K views 72 replies 45 participants last post by  GA 
#1 ·
I need a new Taqueria. My go to Guaymas up in Lynnwood has changed too much over the last 15 years, and since the manager Esteban left 3 years ago, its just gotten worse and worse.

I went to the King 5 news "best burrito" page, and ya'll native PNWsters should be ashamed. Taco Del Mar #1? Taco Time #5? What, someone had a bad experience and Taco Bell so it slipped out of the top 20?:mad:

Okay... Sorry for that PNWsters should be ashamed thing... But does anybody know of a great real taqueria east of Seattle, and from Lynnwood to Factoria? Monroe? Anything! I know Gallo in Redmond, and frankly it's only marginally better than Taco del Mar and they are ruder... So that one need not apply!

Any help would be appreciated.

#35 ·
We still go to Tacos Guaymas in Lynnwood, mostly because some of the women who work their have been spoiling our grandson, now 9, since we and his mom first took him there when he was less than a year old. They go often; we join them occasionally. I think they are still pretty good, but I don't eat there often enough to really track the changes in their menu. The other place we go often is Todo Mexico on Ballinger just east of I-5 in Shoreline. It is pretty good.
D

#40 ·
We still go to Tacos Guaymas in Lynnwood
I didn't know they had numerous locations...good to know. My wife found this one probably 20+ years ago when we use to take the TNT. Their was a guy who wrote a section about "off the beat and path" restaurants... we started doing one a month around the south sound and this place was one of the few that we've gone back too... many times.

#39 ·
#41 ·
There are/were several Tacos Guaymos locations. I win great bonus points with my wife when I stop and grab dinner at the Tacoma location while I'm driving back to Olympia from an Eastern Washington fishing trip. There is another former Tacos Guaymos location (though the name has changed to Taqueria Los Jarritos) in Burlington, off Hwy. 20 (yes, a bit far for a quick bite). Expanding the geographic range of quality Mexican restaurants that are on the way to/from fishing locations, if you are coming up along I-5 and are in the Centralia area around lunch or dinner time, I highly recommend La Tarasca on W. Main Street (maybe two minutes off the freeway if you catch the lights correctly). And if you are interested in Mediterranean food (Greek, Italian, Moroccan), I recommend Boccata on Tower Street in downtown Centralia.
Steve

#61 ·
Gorditos man. Second in King 5's list, first in my heart.
Please tell me their Baby Burrito is just chicken shaped to look like a baby's head. Otherwise that's totally disgusting ... not to mention completely sick and criminal.

Who says WFF doesn't hotspot and give secrets

#47 ·
I need to stop reading this thread. Making me hungry over and over again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hungry? I went to one of the ones recommended here today with my son! Kinda meh... The salsa bar only had 3 choices, however, every one of them was absolutely wonderful. The burrito could be described as Taco Del Mar quality with better, though not awesome, meat.

#49 ·
Very true in terms of pool of beans "au gratin", greasy rice, meat, and some tortillas. And that's not an insult. One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen is the inside of the ZZTop Tres Hombres album. You see kids, we used to have these things called records. And they were much bigger than the CDs your parents had... And they often had pretty pictures on them. And these pictures were big enough that you could actually make out details! And this album had this picture...

Food Tableware Ingredient Dish Recipe

#53 ·
I've moved around a lot. Each new place starts the hunt for the best Mexican. California and Colorado were gold mines, but Washington... Let's just say that I'm doing better on the Sky. But I have found one place that can holds its own, Julio's in Bothell. Fortunately you don't have to stop eating when it gets too hot, and no one will give you a hard time for spot burning a taco joint.

#55 ·
Fortunately, I worked with & have quite a few friends of Hispanic heritage. I'm always fixed with tamales & they have taught me to make some excellent Mexican dishes, including burritos. We are blessed with some excellent taco trucks around the Tri Cities.

#59 ·
No worries hombre!

Trek down 99 and just North of the county line is a truck that always hangs out at the Burlington Coat factory parking lot.

For 7 and a pinch (cash only) you will get an awesome burrito damn good rice and beans(Asada, Pollo, Puerco, you name it!) and a drink.

Guaranteed to satissssafy, haw, haw, haw.:cool:

#63 ·
Latest trend in CA is Mexican grocery stores. Not little carnecerias, but big Safeway sized stores, one chain has close to 30 stores in CA, IIRC. Started in AZ by 2 Italians :). Clean and full of regular 'Mericun stuff, but also the things one can't find at Safeway; Nopales (cactus), bundles of vanilla, Mexican sodas & soap, etc. The good part is they all have a huge deli: Fresh in-store made tortillas, juice bar with fresh squeezed drinks; Kiwi is fantastic. One can get 2 tacos, rice & beans for about $3-5; includes a salsa bar with everything one could imagine. Seasonally they have a Caldo Siete Mares (Seven Seas Soup) that is basically a bouillabaisse; excellent. Also excellent butcher and fish shops, most will cook your fish on request.

#66 ·
I now go to El Rinconsito in both Lynnwood and Bellevue. It's "okay". The downside for me is that the beans aren't vegetarian (lard? Nah... Tastes too good for just that! I'm thinking some pork on the bone! Maybe neckbones? Lard too of course) , and the only option is refried. The upside is that the salsa bar has 4 choices, and they are all legit and delicious, including a green "Mexico City" style thin avocado/tomatillo one that is in the top 20 percent I've had. None of their salsas resemble the jared stuff you get in supermarkets in any way! They are generous with the guacamole in the burritos, but when the guac is optional it ain't cheap. In fact for only twice as much as a side of guac costs you can get the vegie burrito which has the same amount of guac ;)

It's also affordable. My daughter eats very little, but we got out of there, ironically last night, for $24 for four people before tip, and that included A fountain drink for my son, and my three taco plate ($8.50) came with a refillable fountain drink, and a plateful of beans and rice, a grilled small onion, and a grilled Jalapeno.

However in a pinch, the vegan burrito (not the veggie, that costs more because of the cheese and sourcream) at Taco Del Mar is probably the healthiest and cheapest fast food you can get and is more than acceptable taste wise. It's under six bucks, you can get a whole wheat tortilla, and the beans and rice are vegan. They just need to cook their rice a little longer and keep it hotter at station.

#73 ·
Fun thread!

I can't help on the burrito front, but years ago I couldn't help hearing the overly loud and enthusiastic ****** a couple of tables down from us yelling to his buddy that he'd tried every Mexican restaurant in the Puget Sound area searching out the best Margarita, and this was the place where he'd hit the jackpot!

So, I did what I thought appropriate and ordered their "Ultimate" Margarita and you know what?....
... I think the dude was right!!!
It's made from scratch according to the drink menu and it's served with plenty of extra in an iced shaker - just like the milkshakes used to be in the old days!

In your home town Philster, @ Mi Tierra across and kitty corner from Molbaks on the main drag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.