Buying a boat need help

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Fish on!!!, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Fish on!!!

Fish on!!! New Member

Hello,

Looking for a advice I am on market buying boat, guess not really sure what I wont. I do understand there no prefect a boat. Since I recently moved here from AK still discovering rivers. I do fly fishing thinking about drift boat, should I go with glass or aluminum? Or maybe something different boat?
    I just fished in Yakima, and I can see that people use glass drift.I would like smoothing that I can use year long.
    Any advice will appreciate

Thanks

2. Speyrod GB

Speyrod GB Active Member

I prefer glass drift boats. They slide over rocks pretty easy, weigh less and are not as cold as aluminum. They do not drag easy over over sand though. They can also be repaired fairly easy if need be. I have used them all year long. Even freeway tested one 30 years ago, took it fishing and caught fish. Good luck in your search.

3. Fish on!!!

Fish on!!! New Member

If you don't mined asking me where did you fish?
    Thanks

4. Bus

Bus New Member

I just got a fiberglass drift boat this year. Although I love the boat I am thinking about selling the boat and getting a raft because a raft seems to be more versatile on the rivers I fish at lower water levels. Something you might want to consider depending on where you fish.

5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/streamtech-boat.78211/

Here is a thread that I started a while back. I love rafts for thier versatility. Hard boats are nice but they can limit you on the water you can fish in the northwest. Well let me state that more clearly. If you are an average to above average oarsman, rafts can go more places. If you are an extremely good oarsman, there are few rivers you cannot navigate with a hard boat. If you have any questions about Streamtech ask either Derek Young or I. Or give Link a call yourself (the owner of Streamtech Boats)

Ed Call and Bill Aubrey like this.
  6. Speyrod GB

Speyrod GB Active Member

I used to fish the Skykomish and the Sauk when I lived in the Seattle area. I now live south and fish the Hoh, Queets, and Satsop.