Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Caddis Id?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Preston 
#1 ·
Here's one from the Cedar. Anyone want to hit me with the latin? Rock case in the background is his apartment.

Insect Arthropod Pollinator Pest Bedrock
Pollinator Insect Arthropod Terrestrial animal Pest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#11 ·
The case making caddis are interesting critters. They will use whatever is available to build their cases. As an experiment, I know some wild and crazy entomologists took some "periwinkles" out of their normal cases and put them in an aquarium with nothing but bits and pieces of aluminum foil. Sure enough, the bugs used the aluminum foil to make their cases. They were not works of art but the bugs made due.

It also seems to me that someone was putting the little buggers to work building cases with precious stone pebbles and then selling the high priced cases for jewelry or whatever. I remember seeing advertisements for caddis made jewelry. If the bugs have nothing but diamonds and emeralds as building material for their cases, that's what they'll use.

Crafty little guys...

#14 ·
Just came across this thread. Matthaus, those are great pictures of the larva. Imitations of the naked larva are quite effective during some late summer afternoons, early evenings. I've been told that the larva abandon their cases and drift to new holding waters at that time. Can't claim I understand why, but I do know there is great fishing. Big fish, hard grabs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.