Cady Lake Manor Closed?!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Van BT's, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Van BT's

Van BT's Member

Did a quick google search, searched the site here, newspapers, everything. Is the lake still open??

Attached Files:

2. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Larry's B&B has been retired for a few years now, but the lake is still open. The last time we fished there in the early summer Larry said he was going to stock it one last time, haven't fished it since.

Van BT's likes this.
  3. Van BT's

Van BT's Member

Thanks Steve. That’s a shame, the b&b was awesome. Glad the lake is still available though.

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

We stayed at the manor four times...Larry is a great cook and host. Beautiful home, great guy! PSFF used to support him helping with the outhouse and we'd spread gravel on the launch roads, he'd let us hold the club's picnic there...the good old days. My best fish from there was 28" with photo proof!

5. Van BT's

Van BT's Member

I have hooked up once there but lost the fish shortly after. I’ll never forget, it was an olive woolly worm on the south side of the lake near a downed tree. What a strike. Can’t wait to get back out there next summer.

6. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hope to see you on the water Van! Send me a PM when you go...:)

Van BT's likes this.
  7. Bonsai

Bonsai Jerry

My first fish on a dry fly that I tied I caught at Cady Lake. Just thinking and looking for conversation.... The Port Ludlow Fly Fishing Club pays of the stocking of Teal Lake. Is there any interest to do something similar for Cady Lake. I would guess there would have some coordination between Larry, the state and the club or clubs that might be willing to do such a thing. If I can remember I will bring this up to the Kitsap Fly Anglers Club to see if they have any interest. I know the club doesn't have the financial ability to do something like this on their own.

Richard E and Van BT's like this.
  8. Van BT's

Van BT's Member

So what clubs are all in the area now? I seem to only remember looking into KFAC back in 2010. I’d be more than happy to help get another “Cady-esque” lake up and running somewhere. I think I’ve fished Teal before. Completely desolate shoreline, lots of downed trees and timber, not too far passed the floating bridge over Hood Canal? Am I tracking?

9. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

That's the one...but now they're logging around the lake....damn! Beautiful little lake, but I hate "progress" not all good. I think it's all about the $$$.
    When do you get back? Lets hook up and fish! I've got extra floating craft until you can get one. :cool:

Van BT's likes this.
  10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I think Cady would be a much better experience if they stocked fry or planters in it rather then what’s been planted in the past.
    Just not a fan of the dumping in big fish experience, but understand the B & B angle of things and appreciate what Larry did in the past.
    It would be cool to see what Cady could produce if the fish were allowed to grow on their own.

There also used to be some nice cutthroat in there, but the last few times I fished with other board members, nobody caught any.
    That lake has cutthroat written all over it and I have to believe at one time that was all that was present there.
    SF

11. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I personally don't think Cady has enough of a food source for fingerlings to grow into nice sized fish. The biggest hatch is daphnia, just my .02

DrCrush likes this.
  12. Stonefish

Interesting considering what lakes in that area including those in the Oak Patch used to be able to produce as far as cutthroat go.
    SF

13. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

The cutts they've planted there and other lakes like Teal and Gibbs haven't done well at all. After a little time, they are skinny with big heads. For some unknown reason they just don't seem to fare well.

14. Stonefish

Maybe the cutts are getting out competed by all the other fish that get planted in those lakes.
    You can pretty much guarantee Cady didn't have 10 lb fish in it years ago.
    SF

15. Van BT's

Van BT's Member

We should be there the first week of July. Factoring in the time needed to get settled, I plan to be ready to start fishing in August. I appreciate the generosity, you can count on me cashing that offer in!