Cady Lake Manor Closed?!

P
I think Cady would be a much better experience if they stocked fry or planters in it rather then what’s been planted in the past.
Just not a fan of the dumping in big fish experience, but understand the B & B angle of things and appreciate what Larry did in the past.
It would be cool to see what Cady could produce if the fish were allowed to grow on their own.

There also used to be some nice cutthroat in there, but the last few times I fished with other board members, nobody caught any.
That lake has cutthroat written all over it and I have to believe at one time that was all that was present there.
SF
It would definitely be interesting to see. I don’t recall seeing any baitfish on my trips down there. Pass has a steady supply of minnows from what I understand. I would think that Cutts need some kind of little fish to eat in order to do well.

Well, I brought this up at the general meeting last night of Kitsap Fly Anglers. It wasn‘t one of our larger meetings, but we did get a lot of questions (interest). Next week is our board meeting and I will bring it up there. So bring this up at your clubs and see what interest there is. It cost roughly $3 a pound to stock the fish. If we were to put 500 one pound fish in the lake it would cost about $1500. I think if we put fingerlings in there it would attract predators like otters, blue herring, hawks and eagles. The lake is small and I don’t think it will “naturally” support a lot fish. I am no biologist and certainly don't have all (any real) the answers. I am not expecting to stock the lake with the trophy fish that Larry was kind enough to put in there. Just some nice size, fun to catch fish. Remember this project would not be just stocking fish. There would be gravel for the road, the outhouse and occasionally whacking back the brush.

Eagles, osprey and otters are already at the lake. I don't think the outhouse is there anymore since PSFF hasn't helped Larry in years. It's really too bad as many of their club members live close enough to fish Cady frequently.
Daphnia and a minor midge hatch is the main source of food....

Last edited:

steeli

I fished about a month ago for the first time in a least a decade. Had the lake to self and could see the manor looked pretty buttoned up. Could be wrong but think there was an outhouse there and I dropped a few bucks in the donations box. This day just a small midge hatch an hour or so but water still warm on surface at 60. After and hour or so netted a 15” bow that looked kind of skinny. Then before lunch break saw a big 20”+ fish follow my fly when stripping in to check. Not longer later Ldr'd another nice one on easily in that range and looked healthy. Midday wind really picked up hard but landed a 22” cut but really skinny. My brief excursion would agree with Bonsai about stocking some catchable's. Didn't get sense allot of food in the water; wondered if crayfish there.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
We stayed at the manor four times...Larry is a great cook and host. Beautiful home, great guy!
Yes Larry is an outstanding cook and a great guy! My wife and I went there for a couple of anniversaries, a few family birthdays with our son, and just to get away for a couple of days. My wife would bring her sewing machine and Larry would set up a table for her so she could quilt while I fished. We would invite friends to come out and fish for the day and have dinner with us afterwards. One morning at breakfast we watched as a Bald Eagle came down and snagged a fish so big it had to swim flapping it's wings on the water about 40 feet to where it hauled out on a log to feed on it. Yes, the good old days, miss them a lot. I'm not much of a lake angler, even less a chironomid angler and found Cady could be a real challenge. Cady is a 1.5 hour drive for me and I haven't been there since a couple of months before he closed the Manor. I wish Larry and Cady all the best.

Hi Brian,
Don't give up on Cady yet....it's still fishing well...some days. I live in Burien so it's about the same distance for me. That's why we fly fish...the challenge! A couple of weeks ago we did pretty well with indicators and casting and stripping leeches.

Tony

Left handed Gemini.
Larry used to stock fingerlings to feed the larger fish he would stock, long before the lake was so heavily stocked there were some fantastic callibaetus hatches hatches as well as a few caddisfly hatches but sadly with such heavy stocking most of the big hatches went away and cady over the years became mostly a chironomid lake with even those hatches becoming smaller and smaller size wise until a lot of those could only be matched by using hooks #20 or smaller. I have never caught a larger sculpin there but I have regularly seen smaller sculpins 1 to 3 inches in the shallows so they must be there and sculpin patterns were a go to fly for me.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Larry used to stock fingerlings to feed the larger fish he would stock, long before the lake was so heavily stocked there were some fantastic callibaetus hatches hatches as well as a few caddisfly hatches but sadly with such heavy stocking most of the big hatches went away and cady over the years became mostly a chironomid lake with even those hatches becoming smaller and smaller size wise until a lot of those could only be matched by using hooks #20 or smaller. I have never caught a larger sculpin there but I have regularly seen smaller sculpins 1 to 3 inches in the shallows so they must be there and sculpin patterns were a go to fly for me.
...in the early summer Larry said he was going to stock it one last time, haven't fished it since.
Would fewer big fish plants in the lake improve the diversity of food sources and the fishing (for the smaller fish)?

I would like the game dept not to dump in those dark, skinny, nasty cutthroats. They consume the limited bugs and don't last very long. Several I've caught had white moldy sores on them, also the same in other lakes stocked with these. But that's just my .02
Several weeks ago we fished Cady, they put in some large .014 trout. I went 9/16.