Cady lake.... You better read this!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Alexander, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Jim:

Still had the dog on my last visit, Otto. Darn dog like to eat rocks. He also hauls brush pickers back to the house. Grabs their wrist and they don't quite know what to do so they follow him back to the house to be released.

I still have pictures of the day we dropped him off.

2. Shad

Shad Active Member

Thought I should chime in on this one, as I am another who enjoys fishing Cady and appreciates what Larry does for what amounts to the personal satisfaction of knowing he is making people happy. Absolutely, if you fish Cady, leave at least some donation. There have been times when I have finished my fishing there and realized I didn't have any cash/checks to give him. In those cases, my policy has been to double down on my next visit. Especially when one considers the cost of the gas to get most of us to and from the lake, $5 is a drop in the bucket, and there is no excuse for not ponying up at least that much.

If you really want to help, the best thing you can do is spend a night or two at the Manor with your honey. My wife and I have stayed there twice, and on both occasions, it has been a great experience. Larry is a fantastic cook and a better host, and he goes out of his way to make sure you have everything you want/need while you are there. He is also full of fascinating stories about his past lives, which can come in very handy if you happen to be there on a cold, wet day. As much as I love to fish that lake, fishing has been secondary on both of our visits to the Manor. There is plenty to do there, and the surrounding area offers some amazing drives along the not-oft visited East side of Hood Canal. Belfair has a cool farmers market on weekends in the summer as another option.

Honestly, though I suspected a lot of folks were neglecting to donate to the cause, I had no idea the numbers were as paltry as they are. If you're reading this thread and happen to be among the guilty, please take your next opportunity to get out to Cady for an afternoon of fishing, and don't forget to bring your checkbook. It should be fishing great this time of year, and it can be a nice departure from the largely frustrating pursuit of fall salmon and winter steelhead. Just think of it as taking care of the ones that take care of you.

3. Scott Salzer

Alexander - Thanks for starting this. Shad - Thanks for you input.

So, I except to see a bulging donation box next trip down.....

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Cady lake is a great lake and Larry does a woderful job of keeping us happy. My club, PSFF donates money and time to help Larry out. My wife and I have stayed at the Manor several times and Larry's cooking, stories and hospitality are outstanding! We are lucky to have a fishery as this so make sure if you fish it, contribute please!

5. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Thanks for the thread. I'm still wearing skunk after two outings at Cady, but my rod was bent over pretty well a couple of times and Larry is a fine Gent. I didn't know about the donation box the first time but met him at the launch and had a delightful 10 minute conversation. Uncharacteristically for me I had a couple of presidents and gladly left $10. The next week I brought a friend and planned ahead. After dropping a $20 in the box I watched my friend land a few nice fish while I could have been at a fish market with the weeks' grocery budget and they would have been sold out.

The Mrs & I try to get away a couple times during the winter. It's kind of "out there" but staying at the B&B for a quiet weekend alone with my lovely wife sounds like a grand way to say Thanks. Year-round regs too... Wonder if she'll notice my Water Master and gear in the back? She may like the being able to relax and knit, and want to make it a regular.

6. Rialto

Rialto Member

I've fished Cady Lake once and that was last summer. Threw a sawbuck in the box. I recall seeing a sign asking you to limit your fishing to four hours. I had intended to fish longer but the wind came up and I was off the water in three. Do you Cady anglers limit you stay to four hours? Also, I checked the WDFW stocking report and the lake got a small broodstock plant this past spring so Larry isn't the sole source of fish in the lake, not this year anyway.

7. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

The state has planted it with fish for a while. I believe that they usually stock it with cutthroat or at least used to. That being said with out the fish that larry stocks in the lake it would not be nearly as productive. Larry is a great guy. Like everyone else has already said make sure and leave a donation.

8. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

how much is it to fish at cady lake? sounds like the fishing is pretty good? Wheres it located?
    thanks

9. Scott Salzer

No charge to fish Cady BUT ya better leave a donation.

10. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Scott
    Only 77 miles from my house. Can't be any colder than the last lake I went to or worse fishing. LOL.

11. Scott Salzer

Mark - Sign me up! Not so sure that the fishing was "worse", at least for some of us - no names will be used.

12. redband

redband New Member

Alexander,

This is stunning. I fish Cady often and always leave a minimum of $10 and usually $20. I have never thought of speaking with Larry about this subject, and had no idea that these boneheads were not donating. For those of you who are light on cash, and looking for excuses not to pay, make the check out to "Friends Of Cady Lake". Thanks for posting this Alexander.

13. Oncorhynchus gorbuscha

Oncorhynchus gorbuscha New Member

i have never fished Cady but I'm itching to. i work just 5 minutes down the road at the local Boy Scout camp where i teach fishing and fly fishing during the off season. does anyone know the rate for a night at the B&B? i would love to support Larry, knowing that its his private lake im even more willing to help him out anyway i can.

14. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I'm a long way away, so have no context (as I suspect others reading this thread) as to lake access, fish stocking, etc. Does the Game Department also stock this lake? Does the fellow/family own the lake, or is there otherwise 'public access?'

If the fellow is 'big time' out of pocket (fish stocking, etc.) folks using the resource should 'Man-Up' and put a few bucks in the can. Remember way back in the day (and I'm talking pre-1984) some fellow allowed access to one of the 'S-rivers' through his pasture land. Recommended donation was $1.00. At the end? (As I remember) was hundreds of yards of prime fishing water. All for a Buck. Fellow even built a 'Arrow head Gate' for easy access.

What was his 'payback?' Trash on the beaches, cut down trees so some idiot(s) could build fires, and the final stroke .... someone cut his fence so they could drive their 'truck/what-ever' down to the beach rather than walk a 100 yards.

End game: All access closed, property 'posted,' etc.

There's a similar story on the Windchuck River in SW Oregon. Farmer allowed fishermen to walk across his field for years, to access some of the best water in the lower river. Same result/same end game/same 'no game.'

fae

Edit: Just looked at their web site; looks like a hell of a grand place to spend a week end! http://cadylake.com/manor.htm