Call of the wild

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alex MacDonald, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Or, someone who doesn't want you around. Ever tell someone walking into your favorite honey hole that the fishing there isn't very good; nothin' but dinks...

Jim Wallace likes this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I don't think one needs a gun in black bear country but I do feel one is very useful in cougar country. They don't scare as easy as a bear.

3. zen leecher aka bill w

Plenty of time even if the handgun is in a pack. Cougars don't attack out of trees like on TV. Hikers aren't deaf nor blind neither.

If one isn't too fast, claw the handgun out of the pack after the attack and put yourself out of your misery.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

From my viewpoint the worst animal to have in camp is a skunk. You can beat a bear with a stick, shoot it...whatever. But I wouldn't advise beating a skunk with a stick. I spent 25 years backpacking and doing the high cascade deer hunt and the only critters we had issues with was mice and chipmunks. A mouse will put a hole thru a tent or pack in a moment. Bears keep their distance. They might get close enough to stir up horses or dogs... but that's about it.

Wolves are territorial and I don't know how I'd feel about a dog in camp if wolves were in the valley. They just might want to chase that dog out of camp.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Just last night I was told about an easily accessible cascade lake with some surprisingly large trout but warned at the same time about a sow and cubs that have taken up residence on the lake shore. While I won't be carrying a gun I will be extra cautious when I visit that lake in the next few weeks.

TC

6. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

After all of my years in the mountains, I've concluded that the probability of a problem with an animal is inversely related to its size. Mice, ground squirrels, marmots, camp robbers, and other chiselers, are all much more likely to make your trip unpleasant than a bear or cougar.
    D

7. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Hell...mosquitos are the worst.

Chad Lewis and Steve Call like this.
  8. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Yup...except I trained those Canadian skeeters to just fly me home when they've had their fill...

bennysbuddy and bitterroot like this.
  9. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

If attacked by a cougar and the gun isn't in your hand and held tight, The force from the cougar pouncing on you is going to knock you down and if unlucky knock you OUT. The idea of digging a handgun out of a pack while under attack by a cougar is some funny shit.

Stay home and save your family the heartache of somebody finding some body parts and gear( with a pistol in the pack).

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yep, skeeters are the worst! Had mice chew a hole in my first mountain tent. Learned right away to leave ZERO food in tent. Never encountered a skunk while camping, fortunately. Did shoot one in the barn when I was a teenager. Seriously stupid that was! Guess who got to do chores morning and night all by himself for two months? Had deer come into camp checking for edibles, but they chase away pretty easy. Bears run off when I holler at them, . . . so far. Haven't used the bear spray or a gun on them yet. Wolves keep their distance and watch me watch them. The cougar that bothers me is the one that I don't know is checking me out. A gun wouldn't be much use in a surprise attack. I'm more concerned with walking up on a remote meth lab than I am about wild animals. Other than skeeters, of course.

Sg

Jim Wallace, Steve Call and Freestone like this.
  11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

WDFW is aware of the citizens concerns over the expanding state wolf populations.
    They are doing a feasibility study of triploid wolf introductions, which would likely solve all wolf related problems mentioned in previous WFF wolf threads.
    The other option is to plant diploid wolves and have selective harvest seasons for tail clipped only wolves.

12. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

You could almost say the same thing about the landscape that wolves inhabited in Washington.

13. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I have spent some time around wolves in Alaska (once had 4 of them trot by me sitting in the brush...close enough I could see their eyes dilate when they finally saw me...they were far more frightened by the encounter than I was, and scrambled off in a blur of speed). They're hardly the equivalent of a T. Rex.

Wolf attacks on humans are exceedingly rare...even where they exist in large populations.

The main group I think has a moderately legitimate gripe about the reintroduction of wolves are stockman who run open range operations (I'm not too keen on those fellas either...they overgraze public lands and do a pathetic job of maintaining the fences that keep them from beating the shit out of public waters).

Since a lot of prople want wolves (mostly city-slickers who have the political power to legislate their will), I think we ought to have a pretty easy process to facilitate repayment for stock losses that have even a slight appearance of wolf predation....that way, even the small number of people actually negatively impacted by their reintroduction will quit whining about it.

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I have no problem reimbursing ranchers for lost livestock to wolves, but not if the livestock is free ranging and not contained within a fenced enclosure.

I don't want my tax dollars going to someone who allows his cattle to roam free in wolf country. The wolf doesn't know the difference between a cow and an elk if it's wandering through the forest.

I'm not a fan of free range ranching anyway so I have a problem with any claims in regards to cattle lost to wolves if the cattle are wandering around public lands.

Jim Wallace and sopflyfisher like this.
  15. zen leecher aka bill w

Krusty sounds like a good screen name for you. If you still hunted you'd be amongst the bunch of whiners (your words).

If the deer and elk aren't eaten by wolves the survivors will be very skittish. I hunted moose up in Alberta one year and while I saw moose and wolves I only heard deer. Snap a stick while walking and the deer would spook.