Callibaetis Hatch? Where Did It Go?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by dryflylarry, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

You got it.

2. Fast Action Freddie

Fast Action Freddie Having a drink in The Buff

I'm still day dreaming of the 1990s of being smack in the middle of epic (biblical proportion) mayfly hatches that looked like a popcorn popper went off for about an hour. Fishing the same lakes annually since I haven't seen it once as good as I had experienced it in the 90s, early 90s in particular.

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Fishing a high lake in MT last June the midges had been dominating the mid-morning bite for two days. On the third day we struggled all morning until we noticed birds working over submerged weeds in 8-12 ft about 200 yards from the bank. The callibaetis were a magnet for all the fish in the area. By the time we stumbled onto the hatch things were in full swing and we got about 30 minutes of lights-out fishing before it tapered off. Before then, the last great callibaetis hatches I saw were a few years back in northern Colorado and SE Wyoming. I haven't seen any intense callibaetis hatches in WA in quite a while. However, the last two springs have been great midge fishing (all life stages) across central and eastern WA. I'll take a midge gulper-fest any time.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

The callibaetis hatches on the lakes I fish around Kamloops have been sporadic as well , even though we`ve had plenty of the over-cast , drizzly days they seem to prefer . For the most part , chironomid hatches have been spotty too .

5. WT

WT Active Member

As for the lack of speckled duns in Nunnaly I blame the millions of sunfish.

6. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Just fished a Lake in BC over the 4th. We experienced very short spirts of Callibaetis each day and they may have lasted 10 minutes at the most. If you fished a chironomid emerger or cripple in the surface film it was red hot all day long. Their spring is up to 3 or 4 weeks late, damsels and dragons were just starting and the spring flowers were just going in bloom. This is one of the larger fish of the weekend my partner caught, weighed one at 8.5 lbs in the net.

7. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Good work Dale!

8. jwg

jwg Active Member

Nunnally. Sunfish. I agree these are likely the cause of plummeting calibaetis hatches.

9. Chris Doyle

Chris Doyle New Member

Yes, hatches everywhere in the NW were screwed up last year.

10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Some some hatching this weekend. About #14 in size.

Attached Files:

11. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

triploidjunkie-

Yup, late April to early May is when the 1st Callibaetis brood for 2012 would be expected to start emerging. These would be the (overwintering as nymphs) offspring of the late summer/early fall emergence.