Camano Fishing This Weekend

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Patrick Gould, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I'm volunteering to run the safety boat for the Cam Isle sailboat race this weekend. I'll bring the rods in case I get some time to fish. I'll have access to boats and be in the general area of the State Park. I would love some hints as to what tides fish well or what ever advice you care to give. I've never fly fished in the salt and have low expectations but you have to start somewhere right?

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Any where from onamac pt to elger bay will have the potental for coho, use sand lance patterns

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Check out the Saltwater forum for more info, but...

I generally try to fish the hour or two around high tide. With that said, I've caught fish in all tides.

Look for areas with structure (submerged rocks, etc.). Rocky beaches are better than sandy ones.

Water with some movement is good--look for currents. Even better, look for the areas of transition between currents, or between current and no current. You'll see it as foam lines and stuff like that, just like on a river.

Clousers in green, olive, or chartreuse will work well, fly-wise.

Jason

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Thanks, that's the good basic info I'm looking for.

5. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Go try the northend up at Arrowhead beach, not to sure about public access, but there's a launch there and another one up aways at Maple grove. Skagit fish stage in that area. A guy at work lives right above the beach and he'll catch silvers casting off the beach with spoons.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If you are going to dip your shit in the salt, be sure to dip it all in fresh water when you are done. Salt water will cause your reels to lock up of you don't wash it all off. This is for all you use that weekend. Flies and all. And keep your flies separate from your fresh water flies. Salt goes a long way in screwing them up.