Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bitterroot, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Partner Steel is the manufacturer, not the retailer.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Never used the Partner stoves. But LOVE their firepans.

I had an old army multi fuel 1 burner. Think Coleman made it. But my favorite stove is my first generation 2 burner coleman. Dad bought it in the 70's. That stove has been everywhere. I've used it on multiday whitewater trips, as my driftboat stove, camping trips, etc. I finally passed it down to my son this year. It's been beaten and restraightened a hundred times. Kbobs broke off years ago. But still fires right up.

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I'm with Jerry on the old Coleman. We were married in 1967 and the first two pieces of camping gear we bought were the 2 burner Coleman stove and the 80 quart cooler chest. The stove is still in excellent shape for it's 45 years. Two years ago I bought the Super High Output Stansport with the stainless lid so it is unlikely the Coleman will be used again. The Stansport is about 1/3 bigger and it's 50,000 btu output is just amazing. It handles a big wok for stir frying far better than the kitchen stove and boils water in a heartbeat.

I still have my old Optimus 111B that we used on McKinley in '67. Sea level, 10,000' or 18,000' it gets the job done in a hurry but is too heavy for a single backpacker.

Does anyone remember the old Bluet cartridge stoves from back in the '60's? I think they were butane. We used to use them on overnighters for their convenience and light weight. They had a fatal flaw in cold weather though-you had to sleep with them at night or you couldn't even melt butter in the morning.

Ive

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I missed adding it was a first generation propane. Had the mulifuel 2 burner coleman. Dad got tired of carrying gas since caps were always put on partways by us so bought the propane version. I've kept it for sentimental reasons. Da gave that old 2 burner to my brother who did god knows what to it. I'll try and get a pic of the coleman. She's been used hard and is an eyesore but still lit right up after all these years.

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I think they're the same thing as my Campingaz Micro. Still made and still great. I've always kept it near me in the tent and avoided the low temp problems.

[​IMG]

6. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

I just picked up this little Optimus Terra Kettle for use with the 99. It's only .7 Liters, but that's enough for a couple cups of tea or a freeze dried meal.
    I put a can of finely handcrafted brew in the photo for scale.
    P1010514.JPG

7. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

I still have and use mine. Not as good as anything made now. The butane burns at a lower temp. Takes 10mins. to boil a pint or more.

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ive, I also have an old Bleuet stove, the old 'puncture' one that you can't remove the cartridge from until empty. Actually, I think I might have 2 Gaz stoves; one called the Globe Trotter just came to mind and it came with a storage box/cook set.

Lonnie, I also apparently have a stove 'problem', LOL. In addition to the Gaz stoves, there is an old Optimus, 2-3 MSR's, 2 couple of Ti ones (Snowpeak, Kovea), Jetboil, a Primus or two, some home-made alcohol ones, a couple cheapy single burners, plus the 2 burner ones...

9. bitterroot

Ha! Why does this NOT surprise me!!!!!:D:p

10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

My neighbors want me to join them and have a garage sale this month. At first, I thought it was a great idea - but then I realized that I'd actually have to sell something, LOL! :(

Jerry Daschofsky and bitterroot like this.
  11. marblecreek

marblecreek New Member

I refuse to comment about how many stoves I have, but in my defense I have slowed down my acquisition rate considerably. Anyway, here is a picture of two favorite Coleman stoves both in working order. They burn kerosene and probably date to the 1940's. photo.jpg The one on the left is a made in Canada Coleman and the one on the right is a US model.

bitterroot likes this.
  12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I do, Ive, and I believe you're correct about the butane. I even have a few of those old canisters floating around. Maybe it really IS time to go through the junk and offload some!!!

13. Patrick Gould

I hate to open another can of worms, but don't forget the lanterns.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  14. bitterroot

I was actually hoping someone would open that can of worms! Bring on the lanterns!!!!!

marblecreek likes this.
  15. Patrick Gould

I kinda like the lantern that fits on the same butane cartridge as the bluet stove. It's just about light enough to use for backpacking.