camping suggestions

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by ray helaers, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ray helaers

ray helaers Active Member

The boy is on spring break next week and wants to go camping. I was thinking the Skagit or the Yakima. any suggestions one way or the other?

If we went to the Skagit we'd probably stay at rockport (maybe get one of the Adirondak huts if it rains). Float the Skagit and/or the Sauk a couple days, maybe hike up the Cascade or something. The fising is only about 3/4 appealing to me, but I like the rivers.

Where would I stay on the Yak. I've always camped at Red's. What exactly is the deal at Umtanum, the Slab, etc.?

2. patrick barta

patrick barta Love'em - N - Leave'em

I don't know much about the Skagit but can clue you in on the Yak.

Umtanum is open to camping. If you time it right there are a few nice spots there. If you get there early you can snag a spot past the launch near the river, do a day float to your camp site then float off from there the next day. Reds can run the shuttle for ya.

You use to be able to camp at Bighorn but that is closed now. The camping is gone at Reds but they still have their tent cabins set up if that's your style. If that is something you're interested in you better call soon.

There are a few spots at Lmuma but they aren't very appealing.

As for the Slab (now called "Big Pines") it has been totally redone. They have a bunch of big ass RV type spots now but I'm pretty sure there still are some smaller sites riverside. The farther up river you go from the launch the better.

Of course, if nothing else, there always is the KOA at the first Eburg exit. Not my style but that is a nice section to float (although there are some really tight spots right now) and the guy who runs KOA will do shuttles.

Good luck and have fun!

3. EasyE

EasyE Member

I'll second the Umptanum suggestion. Like Patrick said get their early or you may not get a spot. There are only a few available. Not sure if the fees have kicked in yet but during off season it is free and $5.00 during the peak season. If that is full head down to The Slab where you will find more spots.

4. EasyE

EasyE Member

Forgot to mention to check the Yak flows before making the trip. River has been coming up and may well be out if it continues to warm. Give Reds Fly Shop a call for current conditions in the Canyon. Gary or Steve will give you the straight scoop.