• Mountain Whitefish

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Lake Whitefish

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

Klickrolf

clearly whitefish as Mr. Olmstead above noted. The adipose is clear and therefore it's a salmonid (in this case). Impossible to pin down between mountain or river whitefish by the pics.

In the photo in question the dorsal fin is in front of the pelvic fin. In the NPW drawing the dorsal is behind the the pelvic. In the whitefish drawing the dorsal is in front like the posted photo. Pretty big eyes as well. I vote whitefish.

BDD

Okay, for all you who voted "other", who is willing to fess up and tell us specifically what other species you thought it was? Ed already stated Atlantic salmon but based on the forked tail, I think we can confidently rule that one out.

Anyone else?

Only thing other than a Lake whitefish that I could think of would be a bala shark. They are fish tank pets.
If that is a whitefish, that is proly a state record! Thing looks huge!

GAT

Dumbfounded
What? You've NEVER caught a north pike minnow or a landlocked Atlantic salmon?

Interestingly enough, NPM is native to the NW and the ODF&W runs a bounty system for the wild NPM caught in certain sections of the Columbia (which is a scam created by BPA and not something the ODF&W condones but is forced to manage). Regardless, the fish are still as native to Oregon and Washington as a steelhead yet people are paid to kill them... introduced species get a pass but not the native NPM.