Canneries, are there any left?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'm not talking about fish processors, though they may be able to do the job. But there used to be a few canneries that would can up (as in metal cans, not glass jars) your vegetables, food products, etc. Not looking to do a monster production thing. Just trying to do a small batch of canned goods. For transport and shipping purposes has to be in a sealed can from a factory. Can't be a home done job (my parents used to have a metal canning machine growing up). But can't find anywhere online that will direct me to an actual cannery. I've sent off a couple emails to fish canners to see if they can help, but it's been a couple weeks and no response from any of them.

So, anyone on here have an idea of a local cannery I can contact?

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Every fish and fruit/vegetable cannery I've ever known about has closed down as far as I know.

Sg

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    I have found that out too SG. I have a lead right now on one. Hoping it pans out. But any more would be appreciated.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

There are a couple of brands of local canned fish. Tuna, Salmon etc. I'll see if I can kind the info. You might also try a group called slow food Seattle. I remember them giving a class on canning tuna last year.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    I've sent out emails to most of the local "fish" companies. None have responded. Thanks, will try Slow Food as well.

6. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I know down in Long Beach/Ilwaco they can up tuna and sell it. I can't remember the name of the place though. I know it's not local, but it's the only thing I could think of.

7. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Jerry we would have an outfit in the Dalles can fruit for us comercially when I was in Oregon they did a good job. we sent our excess fruit to them , had it canned and them sold it in a fruitstand. I do't remember the Name and I could probably drive to it before I could find the address. I'll try because my sister in law hadsome done too.