Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cannot catch a cutthroat in the sun

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  FinLuver 
#1 ·
Idk why everytime i go out on a sunny day, I cannot catch any SRC. Is there any tips on what to do, which flies to use, etc on sunny, calm days like today? thank you!!

#4 ·
I agree with Nick and TH. I have typically done best on sunny days by fishing deeper (full sinking lines and/or heavier flies) and fishing beaches with seaweed/eelgrass beds or other significant structure (like big boulders or a drop off) where the fish can hide out and ambush prey without exposing themselves. Shallow flats are typically very unproductive in full sun. Although I have had some awesome sunny calm days fishing poppers.... life doesn't get much better than that!

#5 ·
Fishing higher tides can be productive due to the steeper gradient of some beaches that provides ample depth.
Often times when there's a bunch of fish present, the sun will go behind a large cloud and you'll see activity pick up within seconds.

The weather was cold and dreary for so long, and we all prayed for a bit of sunshine, and now that it's here, we wish for clouds. At the very least the sunshine makes for a pleasant beach experience and a nice tan line.

#7 · (Edited)
The weather was cold and dreary for so long, and we all prayed for a bit of sunshine, and now that it's here, we wish for clouds. At the very least the sunshine makes for a pleasant beach experience and a nice tan line.
Though the weather this spring has been wet and windy, I'll take that any day over bright and sunny.
The bright and sunny weather not only sucks for fishing, but brings out some of the most ridiculous cast of characters to the beaches.
You'll never see those same people on the beaches when the weather is shitty.

I saw some shining example of this last weekend.
Dogs, rock throws and foul mouthed mothers.
Sorry, but the fat, tats, orange and pink hair, piercings, cigarettes, 24 oz energy drink and dropping F bombs at your young kids doesn't make you any hotter......
SF

#9 ·
It also may help to slow down the retrieve. Adding more of a pause between strips might help convince spooky trout to commit. Plus, if the fly is deeper, they won't have to move so much and should take it better.

Just be prepared for sculpin, flounder and perch.

Reactions: bek41
#12 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips! Essentially they are sitting deeper and more reluctant to take the fly? This weather is so nice but i wanna catch fish haha
bek41, judging by the tone of your posts over the last few months, I'd say I'm watching the beginnings of another young life destroyed by flyfishing. Congratulations.;)

#19 ·
Also, I believe I have read that fish simply cannot see as well when it's so bright, so fishing floating line or even intermediate sink has the fly in the zone where they have to look up at an angle that prevents them from seeing very well. Just a theory perhaps.

I have mainly fished for SRC's during full sun from a boat with full sink line. Even then, it is best to find current rips where they will stage so you have a better chance of finding them and getting a fly in front of them like Leland mentioned.

There are some exceptions, such as when there is a lot of bait around. For example in July during mid-day sun when I could clearly see sea birds diving and coming up with sand lance over and over, I have had luck with both SRC and resident coho using intermediate sink line.

#20 ·
Another factor in shallow water fishing here in Puget Sound country is, during this time of year, the shallower water can heat up quickly. Once the water hits 60+ degrees, the trout are going to find colder water. Sometimes that means deeper water, or the same depth, but with fresh, colder, incoming tidal flow. Or both.

I have caught countless numbers of sea-run coastal cutthroat trout- some of them big, mature trout- from the beaches, fishing over knee-deep to waist-high water, on bright sunny days, using all manner of flies, almost exclusively using a floating line.

The trick is paying attention to water temperatures. And with all of the tidal currents and exchanges of water, varying from location to location, you'll need a thermometer to zero in on this.
http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.