Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Can't access site from home, any IT help appreciated.

NFR 
1K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  DennisE 
#1 ·
Well this is silly, but I am completely confused. I can't access the site from home on either ipad, ipod, or two different dell computers, yet internet is working fine on all other sites. I can take the ipad to Starbucks or any other wireless network and access WFF just fine. I also have perfect access from my office, it is just this site and just at home. I use Centurylink, and have spent more than an hour over two different phone calls and they say it is not on their end, that it is an issue with either my computers or the site.
I seem to recall this happening a couple years ago but can't remember the outcome. Any of you IT experts have advice?
Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
Random things to try...

- Take one of your home devices and force it's primary DNS server to be 8.8.4.4 (google public). If this works, change the DNS settings for the other devices.
- Probably already did this, but reboot everything (DSL modem, any firewalls/AP's)

#4 ·
Well stink, don't I feel like an idiot. Not sure what the problem was, but I unplugged my modem, waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Works as good as new. Crazy how it only affected WFF though, no other site. David I don't know what you do for a living, but your reply was more helpful than over an hour with Centurylink tech support.
Next time, unplugging and rebooting will be my first course of action.
Thanks,
Mike

#9 ·
No, what happens is somehow your IP gets banned. Not sure how. It's been happening a lot lately. I was even banned. But it's your home IP that's banned for some reason. I could use my cell phone as long as I WAS NOT using the wireless router. If I was accessing through 3G/4G I had access. If my phone auto connected to the home wireless I couldn't access. Chris is innundated right now, and think he's the only one who can fix that problem. But it's not just you.

#10 ·
No, what happens is somehow your IP gets banned. Not sure how. It's been happening a lot lately. I was even banned. But it's your home IP that's banned for some reason. I could use my cell phone as long as I WAS NOT using the wireless router. If I was accessing through 3G/4G I had access. If my phone auto connected to the home wireless I couldn't access. Chris is innundated right now, and think he's the only one who can fix that problem. But it's not just you.
I wasn't buying my wife's denials.....so she thanks you for letting her off the hook.

#13 ·
THis happens to me every once and a while. I just change my IP address and everything works fine.
Unplug ( un-power) your router and disconnect the incoming tel line. Wait say 5 minutes and re-connect. You should have a new IP.
Jack
Thanks for that info. I'll tell people that from now on to try that first.

#12 ·
That's what happened with me recently.

Definitely a plus knowing it's an IP banning.

For me however my IP was sticky on my home network so rebooting stuff even releasing the external IP was resulting in the same IP address.

I'd tether my home machine to my iPhone running LTE temporarily while I fed my addiction on this site.

Eventually my lease expired on the IP and it resolved itself.

Hth

#17 ·
I work in IT, too. Another thing that sometimes happens is a little "name server" confusion on your system. I don't know how you'd do it on a "pad", but on a PC go to the command prompt (cmd, or DOS window) and run "ipconfig /flushdns". This will flush the DNS cache on your local system and may free up access to some problematic sites.

#20 ·
Same thing happened to me, I apparently had an IP ban here and was only able to log in with 3G/4G service. Jerry and Chris helped get me going again--thanks guys!

Maybe this post would be a good sticky since it seems to happen often enough to cause extra work for the mods? I'm pretty well versed with technology, or so I thought until reading this. I had no idea that I might be able to change my IP by simply unplugging my modem/router for a while.

#23 ·
I'm presently having the same issue, but Ed just keeps wishing me luck. I tried unplugging and restarting the router and it did not work. I'll try unplugging the co-axial line as well. Last year when this happened Chris resolved but would be great if I can achieve a "done it myself" status.

#24 ·
I'm presently having the same issue, but Ed just keeps wishing me luck. I tried unplugging and restarting the router and it did not work. I'll try unplugging the co-axial line as well. Last year when this happened Chris resolved but would be great if I can achieve a "done it myself" status.
Hey Freestoneangler: try this, just out of curiosity...

open CMD window (start -> Run -> Cmd)
in the CMD window enter the following: ping washingtonflyfishing.com

You should get back four responses from washingtonflyfishing.com at IP address 173.225.21.55

Let me know if you get said responses.

#26 ·
It does bring up that IP address. Tried ping and it just times out. Flushed DNS, cleared cache and powered down router and unplugged co-ax cable then restarted...no love. I sent you a PM. Thanks.
I think the one word contest you envoke has banned you from the site using that IP. Just saying. ;)

Reactions: David Dalan
#28 ·
I notice that Comcrash has a IP address reset function...anyone familiar with this? Perhaps as noted above they use "sticky IP address" and why my power down, disconnect and restart did not work. Sticky IP address...what kind of people dream up such sinister things? :)

#29 ·
Try it. I was going to suggest Hosts file hack with the IP Address hard coded as a stop gap. But I'd try the Comcast reset IP functionality first.

I like the leased IP address typically. It gives me a reasonable amount of time before I have to rediscover my IP for external access. Yeah, I'm geeky... and my firewall is rock solid settings.

#30 ·
Worst case may be that you could contact your service provider and ask them to reset your router's address.

The following info is for PC owners. When it comes to Apples, "I know nothing!" (as Sgt. Schultz on Hogan's Heroes would say).

If you're comfortable at the DOS prompt, you could run tracert to a domain name (like www.washingtonflyfishing.com) or an IP address if you know one. That will show you the "path" used by your system to get to a site.

Another diagnostic is to "ping" a site that you know both the name and IP address for. If you can ping the IP, but can't ping the name, there's an outside Name Server problem and there's little you can do other than contact your service provider.

A methodical "ping" approach for IP addresses is to ping in this order:

1. First run "iPconfig /all" at the DOS prompt and record your systems IP address and the address of your gateway (internal address of your router). Also record any DNS server addresses if they are different from the gateway address. If you still have a functioning Internet connection, you can get the DNS info from your provider.
2. Ping your systems IP. This makes sure there's no internal problem in your computer.
3. Ping your gateway. Now you'll know if your router is up and responding.
4. Ping all non-gateway DNS addresses. These are provided by your ISP. Due to security configurations they MAY not respond to a ping, but most of the time they will.

I know it's a lot of tech stuff that many won't be comfortable with, but for those that are willing to try, these things can at least give you more info if you do have to call for more support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.