Can't keep um pinned

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bagman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

2/0 hook? I though I had made a big step when I started using #1 hooks.
    Not sure I understand what you mean by the start of the next drought.

2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Where are the coho in Seattle?! I keep hoping I'll start seeing more of them. But noooo. Just more pinks. I'm not complaining too much; went 2 for 3 this morning, and two of those pinks took me into the backing and wore me out. But damn, I'd like to eat some coho.

3. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

When I gear fish for them I use two 3/0's, which I think is pretty common. So, I figured I didn't need to limit myself on the fly either. I like the 1/0 and 2/0's and did well last year with them. This fly happened to have a 2/0. The more I look at the #2's vs these bigger hooks in relation to their jaws and the thought of a short strike, the more I like the gap of the bigger hooks. Incidentally, another guy on the beach this morning lost a hot fish and said his #2 was bent.

I'm sure there is a lot of experience out there that says the smaller hooks are better.

Drought means I haven't gotten one since.

4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Agreed, 3/0-4/0 for gear and 1/0 or 2/0 if the fly size allows. Remember to set the hook harder when using sizes 1/0 and larger as the thicker wire requires more force for penetration and the large gap permits the hooks to drive in deep. I don't really worry too much about doing much more than a strip set on sizes 1-2 since the fine wire penetrates with ease and it is possible to rip small hooks out with a bassmaster hookset.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jason,
    I think things should pick up further south once the weather starts turning on Sunday. Some cloud or fog cover with a south wind to get a good coho chop going will help improve fishing. You can still catch fish, but clear skies and 90 degree temps aren't great fishing conditions in my opinion.

As far as hooks go, a 1/0 can look rather small in a big coho's mouth.
    SF

6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I had a 7lb ho just about bend a #2 straight (still managed to get him to the beach somehow). After that I went to #1 and I've been considering some 1/0 on my bigger flies.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I've been running size two, but today I fished size 1 all day. Didn't seem to make a difference. The fish that took right at my feet tonight still had no trouble spitting the hook in my face when he jumped.

Im trying an experiment right now in how I hold my rod. My holding it super slightly in my right hand, almost just using my thumb and pointer finger to hold it... I'm hoping that not having it at my usual angle and grip will make it hard to lift the rod quickly and instead force me to strip set. We'll see how it works.

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I got my first couple fish with the strip set today. BIG strip sets. It felt good, like I had finally overcome some kind of weird mental tic. Big strip sets, and some solid fish on the beach. Didn't miss a single hookup, and only lost one of them after a good fight.

9. Nick Clayton

Nice job Jason. Feels good when you get a good hook set.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nick,
    One thing that has really helped me is turning my body during the retrieve so I always have a straight line my fly. Because of current sweeps your line, you almost never cast straight out and strip your line in without it swinging to the right or left of you.
    Having as straight of line as possible to your fly will help with your strip strike. Dimebrite is a master at doing this.
    I get lazy at times as my mind drifts an sure enough a fish will slam my fly with my rod out of position and a hook up is missed.
    SF

11. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Jason, I have that same mental tic. I haven't overcome it yet, but am hoping to cure that soon. I start spacing out and of course that is always when the fish hit and then it's instant habit. I've done this with steelhead too, dropping the loop and all, and succeeded, so you'd think I could do it with coho...Hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

I'm pretty good about keeping the line straight to the rod. Not perfect, but it's more of a habit than not. I want to feel that tight hookset and then off to the races!

12. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I have figuered out that I need to lower my stripping basket as well as get it more to my rod hand side of my body, and have a path clear for the strip set. Like StoneFish I turn my body as the current pulls my line always keeping a clear lined up strip set path.

13. Nick Clayton

No strip set needed with this gal. She hated pink and white clousers with a fiery passion.

2013-09-12_08-06-08_732.jpg

Tacoma Red, dryflylarry and Stonefish like this.
  14. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Nice fish

15. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger