Can't keep um pinned

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bagman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

One thing you may want to try is a two handed retrieve with the rod tucked into your right armpit. This will force you to strip set, as it is impossible to set the hook any other way. I also find this decreases wrist pain in my left hand after a long day at the beach.

mtskibum16 and Bagman like this.
  2. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

Went to the Methow Valley this weekend for some R&R so I haven't been out since last Thursday. Was met at the beach with a strong cross wind. A few casts in, BAMMM...sweet! Lifted rod...damn it!. That combined with the huge belly in my line from trying to cast in the cross wind results in fish swimming away. I had a feeling that I had just blown my only chance for the morning. Looks like I'll be starting over with the strip set training. Grrr.

3. emmccauley

emmccauley Active Member

Hook sharp? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

It was sharp this time, but that didn't make up for my incompetence.

5. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

On a roll...hook set, check...however, unknown flaw in the leader = lost fish.

6. emmccauley

emmccauley Active Member

Well if its any consolation, it was fun to watch while it lasted. That fish was a good 5 feet in the air!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

After everyone pushing the benefits of strips sets, I started concentraing on that this year vs the good ol' pull-up-on-the-rod hook set. I seem to be missing way more hits than I remember when I used a stadard rod pull set. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I seem to be able to get better hook sets if I don't strip set....anyone else notice this?

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I think your problem is stripping too slow. If you're stripping fast and with authority I think those fish are going to bless you with a firmer hook-up. Nick posted a shot of an awesome fish that hooked itself. I had a big salmon hook itself yesterday. It nailed the fly hard mid strip and the game was on.

I'd recommend trying to make bigger faster strips and I think you'll start DUSTING CHROMERS.

9. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I resembled that remark on Sunday.:( Might have to up my game on the leader(12lb to 16lb), else refresh the leader more often. I hate having those sad farewells with Coho. I also like to be able to sleep at night.;)

JesseC likes this.
  10. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I keep pushing 20lb Ultragreen for a reason, it takes a licking and keeps on tickin! I have yet to lose a beach fish due to a break-off, but I still lose flies every now and then to crappy backcasts over rocks. I think there is no cure for the latter :p

If you think about the strip set vs lift set, there is little different in the angle at which the line is pulled; perhaps only a couple of degrees higher for the lift set due to the shallow slope of the line from the rod fish to the rod tip. I think the difference is that the lift set is not as sharp and violent as the rod absorbs some of the force and there is a huge mechanical disadvantage on the force transmitted from your arm and wrist to the rod tip (~30:1). I always strip hard and fast and once the fish is hooked, I quickly lift the rod tip to provide shock absorption for the head shakes and flip-flops that usually ensue. 3/3 for beach coho fish so far this season... need to go collect more data to be sure though!

Ian Broadie likes this.
  11. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

I was using 12lb UG attached to my tapered leader. The issue was on the UG side of my surgeon's knot, which hasn't been a problem in the past. Either I had a casting knot or kink that missed the periodic inspection or it just degraded over a few days. FWIW, that knot had already caught a couple fish.

I'm afraid my 2 year old is gonna start dropping the f-bomb with the turrets I've developed.

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I usually strip pretty quickly with long strips. I have no troubles when I get a solid take. In that case it's usually automatically set. I guess I'm referring more to the subtle takes and possibly short strikes I seem to be plagued with recently.

13. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

You also have to take into account the fact that these new rods are designed to cast a fly line not set a hook. Think about how much a 400 grain line bends your rod. There are I believe 7000 grains in a lb. I don't know how many lbs it takes to set a hook in a 5 lb Sliver but it got to be at least a lb. that's a lot of bend in the rod tip before you get down into the butt where all the power is.

14. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

The fish today picked up the fly made a big arc out of my line but the water drag seemed to keep tension in the line. It must of since the fish was lost by broken line and I could feel it pulling on my line hand. Had my line held, I'm positive it would have been on the bbq tonight. If you can just get some good positive tensile force into the line and maintain it, then the fish stays on (in my opinion).

I'm beginning to wonder if the coho landed back on the leader after it's top water dance and broke it.

15. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:

I've caught every fish this year on either 8 or 10 pound Seagar and only had one break off which was on a knot that should have been redone three or four fish prior to breaking. :D If the fish are not leader shy 20 pound ultragreen is the way to go and you'll be able to wench in just about anything under 8lbs or so without fear of line failure.

As far as strip sets go I'm all about side pressure and I totally Jimmy Houston the crap out of my hook sets like I wanna tear the face off the fish. I agree with the hard strip after the hook set because it gets the fishy to get motivated and run instead of bucking which introduces slack and that is the primary cause of a fish coming unbuttoned. I gave a hard post hook set strip to a chum and had more than enough fish based motivation to keep the line super tight even when the fish was about 200' away from me.