Car Rod Racks - Safe?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

get suction cup ones not magnet ones.. make sure they are properly attached, check them from time to time, I leave mine on for weeks at a time.When i am in Montana i have no fear of getting on I-90 and doing 75 from Missoula to Butte or driving the entire length of Rock creek whichever seems worse to you :)

2. CLO

CLO Future WFF Mod

I'm sure they are fine at low speeds but my baby's ride inside the car now. Subaru outback FTW.

3. kmudgn

kmudgn Active Member

I have used the mag mount holders for years without problem in losing rods. Unfortunately, the mag mount holders seem to have developed legs as I accidently left them on my truck while fishing and they were gone when I returned

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Using a snowboard rack is way better than any of those sumo holders, suction holders, or mag holders.

They all inevitably fall off and about 25% of the time when you check them before driving off they are loose. When you have >$2000 of gear up there, it's worth spending a couple hundred bucks to just get a snowboard rack.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Nicely done Ive, Red Green would be proud!

Jesse has the sure route, but he's independently wealthy and top-o-the-line stuff is of no matter to a man of his means.

CLO - I tend to be a wee bit over anal about my rods as well and always trying to protect them and reels from getting boat rash and piss poor handling damage...hence my reservation about these external mounts and the inquiry. Still, I'm thinking about rigging up something for the truck bed.

Ed - what the hell is your rub with the One Word Contest? There are many days when it is the only damn thing on any of the forums worth responding too... just some lighthearted fun.

6. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

I have a rod holder mounted to the top of my xterra. It consists of two 10 foot PVC pieces painted like a rainbow trout epoxied to a plastic toolbox for the reels to sit in. I just open up the toolbox and slide them in and out. It works like a charm and only cost about 30 bucks to make. Its a great rod holder if you don't mind doing things the ghetto redneck way.

Jslo likes this.
  7. Jslo

Jslo @troutset

Pictures :) "screenshot or it didn't happen" lol

8. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

When I'm cruising from point A to point B, I just stick the reel end of my rods under the windshield wipers and lay the rods up the windshield & back over the roof of my car. It works great on Rock Creek & other such places. I don't think I'd do that on a long road trip but for short jaunts, it works fine. Been doing it for about 10 years with no problems

9. Bradley Sines

Bradley Sines Active Member

So I'm almost two years late to this thread, but oh well!

Some posters on this and a similar thread have said to get the suction cup models instead of the magnetic models, but I've read reviews (specifically of the "Sumo" model Orvis sells) saying the exact opposite - to get magnetic and stay away from suction cups. What gives? Why do WFF members prefer the suction cups?

I was about to buy a suction cup set (my truck has an aluminum hood so no magnets for me), but the pro-magnet anti-suction reviews on the Orvis site gave me some pause. I priced a Yakima rack setup with either ski racks or a padded bungee setup but the cost was well above that of the suction mounts and a lot higher than what I'm interested in spending on this project. Thanks!

10. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

What is this padded bungee setup? I have the crossbars and want to rig them to hold rods.

11. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

I have had the mag ones since '05 worked great. I don't use them anymore though.

12. Bradley Sines

Bradley Sines Active Member

I was literally just going to use surfboard/SUP board pads on the crossbars with some short bungees holding the rods taut against them. Basically the same premise as the suction/magnetic holders, just on crossbars instead of a thing you stick to the car.

I have some Yakima stuff for our other car, but to fit it where and how I'd want it on my truck I'd basically need a whole new setup... bolt toploader bases, towers, bigger crossbars blah blah. Nearly $400... I may still give in and do it, but for now I'm leaning toward simpler and less expensive.

13. kmudgn

kmudgn Active Member

I have a set of Orvis mag mounts that I bought many years ago at their "outlet" location at the factory in Manchester VT. They have worked great. They were in a bin marked "factory seconds", but what can be I don't know except that they were half off

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

You forgot, wolves,Cougars, & red headed women !