NFR Car Wash Kit

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by nomlasder, Jun 19, 2012.

1. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

FYI

June 19, 2012
    Fish-friendly car wash kits available

TACOMA — Fish-friendly car wash kits are available for free at several Pierce County locations through a program by the county's Public Works and Utilities Surface Water Management Division.
    The kits keep soap, oil and other pollutants from entering storm drains and flowing into streams, rivers and Puget Sound. A storm drain insert and pump send dirty water to the sewer system or a grassy area.
    The kits also come with a garden hose, extension cord and instructions, and a large sign to let people know the car wash is fish-friendly.
    Information is at www.piercecountywa.org/carwash or (253)798-2725.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Learn something new everyday. All this time I've been washing my car wrong. I think that I will still use the car wash at the gas station.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  3. TD

TD Active Member

Interesting. I back my truck up onto the lawn to wash it. I've read that weed killer, lawn fertilizer, and other products that are used for yard care all rinse into the Puget Sound and other waterways as well and have been building up in the Puget Sound. I've since started using a propane torch to control weeds around the house. I also don't fertilizer my lawn. I never have though. I did it the first year I bought my house and decided mowing twice a week to control it was something I didn't enjoy.

4. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I talked to a guy last week who was complaining about having to pull moss out of his yard. My advise was to sell the lawn mover, pull all the grass out and cultivate the moss as you never need to mow that stuff! And, once the moss gets thick enough, even weeds have a hard time getting through it. Walk on it, drive the truck over it, it loves it, just makes it grow thicker.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I had to laugh at their blurb on the link; washing the car in your driveway sends (microns of) automotive fluids, etc into the storm drains. So, where the hell do they think rain runoff from all their freeways, with thousands of cars per day leaking "fluids" goes? And you're gonna help by using a fish-friendly wash kit? Your tax dollars at work here!

So, while I DO understand it's a problem where large concentrations of cars are concerned, I fail to see how a few "fish friendly" car washes are going to-in any way whatsoever-mitigate the problem. Unless of course, it's simply to get people to think about the issue. In that case, it would be laudable. It would be a great study for some budding sociologist, maybe even a dissertation's worth of data, if it would relate to any change in peoples' attitudes toward simply "chucking" things-including gray water!

6. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

They're talking about using these for those charity car washes where a hundred or more cars in a day. It can make a difference. You gotta start somewhere Alex.

7. Alex MacDonald

True, Matt! Charity washes makes a lot more sense!

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Especially if the car washers are wearing shorts and tee shirts or bikini's.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Alex, fyi. Any new road build or upgrade today has to be designed to account for every drop of water that falls on it. It has to be taken care of in some fashion with settling ponds and bioswales or some other method usually using natural means of removing contaminates from the water before it can be allowed to flow into a stream, river or the Salish Sea.

10. Alex MacDonald

So you're saying it doesn't eventually find it's way back into the water system? I wouldn't expect something like that from government: intelligent thought!! Whodathunkit? Thanks, Kerry (and a pat for Kuma)

11. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Nice site Chris. Great information. I may have misled Alex and others. There is a tremendous existing problem out there with runoff as the site you linked to shows. At least it is a known issue and some steps are being taken to deal with impervious surface runoff.

13. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I especially like the signs to tell your neighbors that you are a "greeny". God, I need a week in Montana to sober up!

14. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

That's right Kerry, it's a huge issue that the average joe doesn't think about, but with 4,529 KNOWN outfalls, that alot of stuff running into the bay. The maps startling!

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The catch ponds you see along the roads account for a lot of the water from roadways. True, not all goes there, especially from older roadways but the grounds actually filters, somewhat, the water that falls on it or flows onto it. Storm drains flow directly into the Sound, unchecked and they take all that soap and ferilizer that hits the streets with it. The fact that some people wash their cars on grass or don't use fertilizer just reduces the amount that gets there by just "that" much. Every little bit helps, in the long run. Puget Sound is quite a bit cleaner now than it was ten years ago. It is by no means "really clean" and won't ever be until we stop using it for log storage and a dumping ground for junk and chemicals and derlict ships that spill oil and grease into it. Things are looking better but we have a long way to go.