carbon fiber grips and antler cork experiment

NIrodneck

Here are a couple of my carbon fibre grips that I have been working on. Mine are finished with a buffed Satin finish. I also do not sand mine down to a perfectly flat finish and leave just a hair of texture. The Full wells weighs 16.2 g and the half wells ways 14.6 g.

Here is also an experiment to see if I could get antler to bond to cork well enough to turn on the lathe

NIrodneck

Actually much grippier (is that a word?) than cork. I leave just hint of texture so it is not a perfectly smooth grip, but even the perfectly smooth grips are very grippy.

NIrodneck

The carbon fiber is a sleeve around a foam core that is layed up like fiberglass. The handle should not affect rod flex at all. Unlike an all wood handle that can cause rod damage if you have a full flexing rod or one that flexs clear to the butt (light wieght or slow action rods). The carbon fiber handle should offer the best of all worlds-light,strong, and rigid for greater sensitivity in both casting, hooking and landing fish.

NIrodneck

I use a mandrel technique. I have tried shrink wrapping but I still end up doing as much work if not more. it has taken me a while to figure out my technique that works for me. I have made many differenmt style handle and the CF is definetly not the prettiest, on my own rods I will probably not go back to anything other than carbon fiber.

montanafos

If you'd sell one of each I'd be interested in building a couple rods with them. If only one...half wells. I have a 4wt blank that would look beautiful with that half wells.