**** Carp

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Dustin Bise, Oct 10, 2007.

1. eio

eio Large member

This is just my biased opinion from growing up in the East but..................we hated those damn things.

They were good for a fight when nothing else was biting, but other than that they are non-native destroyers of native fish habitat.

All the rooting those things do on the bottom destroys the beds of other fish and muddies up the water thus destroying the habitat in general.

Besides that they are really slimy and smell like death.

2. oilslick

oilslick New Member

Fishing whitfish lake, MT it common to pull in 10lb carp. Atleast thats what we've always called them. I've never identified them by any other picture I've seen online. They have a black back and a yellow/orange belly and are sliiiimy - yuck. But they are longer and more slender, with small scales (not like any other carp ive seen online) They always circle the bank in the evening. You can see them pass by the dock in groves - 2, 3, 4, 5 at a time. They dont fight too hard, but are fun to catch when there dont seem to be too many trout around. A good night would consist of 4-5 carp, one good 18" trout, and a couple pike on the line where I consider myself lucky if I can get them onto the dock without them stealing my lure.

3. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Frank, for a closer carp experience both Green Lake and Lake Samammish have large carp.

Scott

4. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

come to the tri cities, we here HATE them with a firey passion except for the eastern europeans, i dont think the mexicans even want them. if you are serious about carp though, it might be more enjoyable to buy a catfish spinning setup and just use dough bait-more hookups. but they really do smell bad, i almost vomit at it, imagine a ton of wet garbage with alot of rotting bio matter with spoiled milk poured over it and left in the heat of summer for a month. thats almost close to how bad they smell. and please, if you catch a carp, do us a favor even if you dont want to eat it, DO NOT RELEASE IT BACK INTO THE WATER.

5. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Home Page:
    Those are squawfish. Or "Northern Pike-Minnow" is what we're supposed to call them. . .
    I've never seen them as large as 10 pounds, though.

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    Do you say "recently over" because Sprague Lake was rehabbed this fall? Did it already occur?

7. eio

eio Large member

When we were kids, we used to jump off of a 50ft. railroad tressel into this lake that had lots of carp in it. On hot days they would sun themselves just under the surface below the tressel so we would line them up like bombadiers and jump onto their heads.

Great fun........just don't hit the carp with anything else but your shoes. :beer2:

8. Brian H

Brian H Member

I tell ya if you hate the northern yellow squaw fish....go to the snake or above the Dalles on the Columbia.....both still offer money by the pound for squaws. They decimate salmon runs...and the dams have programs to grind them up and sell them as organic fertilizer...I have made a few hundred dollars for a day of fighting giant squas and you contribute to the local farmer and health of the river in the process.

best,
    Brian

9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

That fish in the photo in my post was freshly killed via state sponsored chemical warfare.

10. oilslick

oilslick New Member

Northern pike minnow - not the same thing as a northern pike??? Maybe I haven't been eating my wheaties lately. I never weigh fish, i just usually compare them to my memory of how heavy my son felt as a newborn. lol Should I be feeding them to the local eagles if I catch em?

[​IMG]

11. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Home Page:
    No, you don't want to throw them up on the bank. While lots of people will, or do, it's illegal to do so in any state that I've lived. Plus, if you've ever had your dog roll in dead fish, you'll understand.
    What's got me confused: if you're in Montana, why were you fishing Whitefish Lake? Not that that area of MT has got the greatest fishing, but that's the last lake I'd fish there. And I live there!

12. jasmillo

jasmillo Member

4 Responses to this post:

1. shit...if the mexicans don't even want them, what good are they????

2. Is fishing with doughballs ever enjoyable......? Carp can be extrememly difficult to catch on a fly and they fight like hell. Much more difficult to catch and a hell of a lot better fight than pretty much any sized hatchery trout

3. They don't smell that bad- they're fish- they smell like fish, strong....but not vomit inducing if you are used to handling fish.....

4. Unless they are non-native why would you not release them? Here is a simple easy to understand concept for folks advocating killing any fish species indiscriminantly: If a fish is there naturally they serve a purpose, period. That's why they are there. It's common F%$king sense. You are not smarter than millions of years of evolution or God for that matter (depending on which way you lean on this subject:p)). If the Carp you speak of are non-native than that may be a different story........

13. Steven Mobley

Steven Mobley Member

We have some big carp in one of the lakes in my neighborhood. The only way to catch them is to go in the evening to a corner where some old folks throw bread for the ducks. Throw your own bread chunks into the water you want to fish. Put a piece of carpet backing (bread fly) on a hook and toss it out. Watch the carp suck it down, set the hook on 8 wt rod and hang on tight. Unreal straight towards center of lake runs. They'll burn your drag with a vengance.

Steve

14. eio

eio Large member

15. Loopy

Loopy Member

Carp fishing is so big in the UK!

I went trout fishing with my 24 year old friend today who is one of those guys that fishes for carp in ponds in the uk and stilll manages to fish for trout on the fly!

He is soserious about carp that the fish in is ponds all have a name!

He fishes with the most up to date equipment like a remote controlled boat to deliver the bait!

But he loves his trout fishing.

I would like to heva a go at his carp with the fly and am still waiting to hear.

In the meantime I am just off to the pub for a quick one! :beer1: