Carrying firearms while fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Vaughn, Nov 4, 2010.

1. wolverine

wolverine Member

Concealed carry permit. I always carry and keep it concealed. Around town its a mid sized 9mm auto. Outdoors my new carry is a Taurus Public Defender wheel gun that shoots 45 long Colt and 410 shot gun shells.
    If you do elect to carry, take the safety courses and practice a lot at a range. Safety first...

2. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Thanks everyone for you feedback. As for this being an annual thread - sorry. I tried to search old threads but apparently didn't use the right keywords because I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure I feel the need to carry yet but if I do it will be with plenty of training. I work with a lot of shooters that have offered to help.

3. LD

LD Active Member

Sorry to disagree, but there is really not reason to carry a firearm fishing, imho. Born and raised in Montana and have hunted and been around guns since very young. Hand guns just not my cup of tea. If you want something to feel safe carry bear spray, if you want to be Clint carry a 44. Studies in Alaska and Montana have shown bear spray to be the most effective.

4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Here's where this thread will get confusing and likely end up inconclusive. (Queue replies citing how bear spray is not effective.) It happens every time this topic is raised.

5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    before/when you buy a gun, take the time to learn the Washington rules on firearms,pistols,etc. You will be surprised what Washington does and doesn't allow. This website is the best informative website to date for me:

http://opencarry.org/wa.html

http://opencarry.org/maps.html

Please take the time to research the details,etc.
    Our laws on firearms are actually better than Texas and many others believe it or not.

Be responsible and respond accordingly and not react.

6. orangeradish

orangeradish 1/2 an Ira

Home Page:
    I too fish for bears. I've had great results using a wounded deer pattern on a sink tip. Cast across and downstream and try and vary the retrieve. This will mimmick an animal struggling in the river.
    Tight lines.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I could get smacked in the head over this but here goes. How does one fish for Bears. Is there a special fly one uses.

On another note. Here in Montana, I have talked to several people that carry and use Bear Spray. They have told me that it works. But if a bear is determined, how well does it really work. Where I ride my Quad, I sometimes get the willies when I'm up in the mountains and the woods. And I wonder if I shouldn't be carrying a fire arm.

Lots of unanswered questions in my head.

8. joellirot

joellirot Member

Ya'll beat me to it. I was wondering what kind of equipment is needed for fishing for bears. Will my 10wt suffice or do I need a large spey rod?

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I was waiting for the "fish for bears" responses:rofl: Washington permits open carry with a few exceptions-which you definitely DO need to learn-it's not complicated though. However, if you're carrying under your waders, you'll need a concealed permit. I frequently carry, but find that the big Sig .40 tends to pull the belt it's attached to, and hence the pants-toward the shoes!! I get tired of hitching my pants up all the time. The little Walther P-22 is much lighter, but the accuracy just isn't there like the Sig.

10. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

How's that Hawken flintlock fit under your waders Alex?

11. slupot

slupot New Member

I carry a XD .45 concealed mostly to scare away bears (habit from Alaska) or to scare away tweakers if need be in Sky valley. Only open carry when I am way off the beaten path so I don't scare tourists.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Get a firearm and learn to use it, join NRA.
    Keep America Free

13. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I don't just because I cant think of any situation around here where i would need one. In WA, close encounters with dangerous wildlife are rare, and encountering one that is aggressive enough to attack is 10x as rare. As for other humans, yes there are some sketchy folks out there, however in the unlikely event that I have to defend myself, i have 2 arms and 2 legs that function just fine.

I hear stories of fishermen pulling guns on other fishermen (I know someone this happened to), but have yet to hear a success story of a fisherman using a firearm to defend themselves from attack. I understand why others carry, just not my thing. Your decision will come down to your level of personal comfort.

14. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Home Page:
    Can't beat the Springfield Armory and a light 14 round 45 for any situation

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Read number 8.

RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.