Cascade creeks, where to start?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by WA-Fly, Jun 20, 2013.

1. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

I fished woods creek over the weekend and caught a few cutts on dries. I have a friend who owns land on the creek. I just think it would be more fun to hike in some where.

2. Randru

Randru Member

Not to hijack the thread, however there are a lot of blue squiggly lines that seem to be bordered by privet land. Short of going door to door in any given area trying to find who owns the property to get permission how does one figure out who own the land on either side of a stream. Do you guys primarily fish in BLM/WDFW/DNR etc. land where access is somewhat predictable or is there a way to find who owns the land around so that they can be contacted for permission.

3. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/services/gis/maps/county/mpl/mplco.htm

This is a good starting point. Honestly, if you're trying to find an access point to one of these rivers, the landowners will let you know where their property is. On a lot of these Cascades creeks, it's going to be NF land everywhere, except where it is private. And even if there is property abutting the river, it's public land up to the median high water mark (in "navigable" waters). So the solution is generally to find public access to the stream and wade up and down as long as you're within the median high water mark (which gives quite a bit of elbow room in mid to late summer).

anti.team likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Pick a specific river/creek/stream, let's for argument pick the Sauk River. Check the rules for the Sauk and various tributaries and that will give you a starting spot for exploration. If you don't like the Sauk as a name, pick the Skykomish and start from there.

5. gldntrt20

gldntrt20 New Member

If you find it yourself, it is a better chance of keeping it that way. The more that know about a place, the more chances the experience disappears.

Dehlan G likes this.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w

Aren't you the guy that had that zipperlip lake spot and posted all the pics???

7. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Yeah, that sounds like me.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

Just giving you a hard time. Nothing more.

9. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Yeah I get it, Okay how about I share one of my favorite spots and maybe some one else might share too.
    - Manastash creek, my grandparents used to own property on this creek and it was an awesome trout fishery. They sold the property and I never bothered to look for access any where else on the creek

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've fished all over the Sauk. Both forks and a few of the tribs of both forks. Lots of access up in the hills

Lots of access on the Skykomish. There is more water up in the head waters of the Skykomish that you can shake a stick at. At the right time of the year you can catch just about anything that swims up there. But be sure to read the regs as the N/F has a closed area on it. In the many years of fishing on that river system I think I hit every trib.

11. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

I don't think that's the point.

12. zen leecher aka bill w

Here's some good starting points from OMJ. Check your maps to see what parking spots have close stream access after ensuring those areas are open to fishing. Explore from there. Back when I was a wetsider and into checking out most blue lines I only found a few bad spots. Rest were rated ok, or good. The key thing is checking the regs because of protected chinook and bull trout areas resulting in closed fishing areas.

13. Randru

Randru Member

Thanks for the link Cruik. It takes a bit to decipher what all the different colors and shaded areas mean but I think I can figure it out. At least its going to keep me out of trouble for a bit.

R