Case Inlet First Chum Sighting

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Purseiners are out pretty thick in Colvos pass right down from the house today waiting for their big day 2morrow. Along with tribal gillnetters already out in full force doesn't make for a very healthy strain on these small local crick fish. Ventured to chase chums with the gf and 4 landed between the two of us in an hour and a halfs worth of fishing. Figured enjoy them now as they wont be there in the same numbers come wed.

2. bcrist

bcrist New Member

Out yesterday afternoon throughout a good part of Case Inlet and West down Pickering Pass. Saw a lot of moving Chum along the shorelines. Not too many in the estuaries yet, though they are showing now near Allyn. At least 10 different purseiner outfits. A beautiful day to be on the water. Fly fishing for Chum should pick up in the next week or two.

3. fozzybeardude

fozzybeardude Jon Roberts

Not anywhere near Case Inlet but out near the Sultan River on the Sky I saw some plunkers land 2 Chum today. Was out for a few hours and saw plenty of silvers jumping and just as many Chum rising and tail slapping. I got a nice 12" cutty in hand as a bonus and turned him loose to be caught again someday.

4. Sonny

Sonny New Member

I fished case inlet last weekend. Definitely chum. Not real hard to tell the difference. They were not in great numbers yet but several schools of 20-25 fish each were sighted. We landed one that was already looking old.

5. fozzybeardude

fozzybeardude Jon Roberts

This is in response to my own post just above:

Just realized yesterday that the regs state Coho Only in the rivers.... Are Chum only open on certain years in the freshwater or is this just a poor return year? I was gearing up to go back this weekend and see if I could hook into one of those monster but I checked the book only to find pure disapointment.

6. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

"WDFW must not act cursorily in considering the facts and circumstances surrounding its actions. The defined management objectives do not provide a rational explanation for the disparity in harvest allocation, nor does the concise explanatory statement. Harvest opportunity is not fairly allocated by providing gear groups a share of time on the water unless relative fishing efficiency is taken into consideration. The numbers reflect the current inequality: in 2006 and 2007, gillnetters caught an average of 725 chum salmon per hour of fishing time and purse seiners caught an average of 4,893 chum salmon per hour. WDFW provided no rational basis for the disparity that resulted from its adopted schedule for areas 10 and 11. Accordingly, we hold that WDFW acted arbitrarily and capriciously in adopting the 2008 schedule."

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=in%20waco%2020100928b44.xml&docbase=cslwar3-2007-curr

And people wonder why the "S" rivers are being closed due to low chum returns.

7. JayB

JayB Active Member

There's a fight where I'm cheering for both sides to lose......

8. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Active Member

I guess we've reached the end of the road - Fighting over the last chum.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Nah, we've got one more fight...over the last slimy scaleless pink next summer/fall.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Fresh whole "Keta" salmon has shown up in our local QFC stores!
    :beathead:

Edit:

According to Google translator, "Keta" is Indonesian for "fear."

They get this name from regular occurrences of things such as this:
    [​IMG]
    "OH SHIT! I'M GONNA GET MY MOLDY ASS SMASHED IN TO THE PAVEMENT!"

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Fresh Keta? I've seen tons of smoked Keta, pretty common. Fresh Keta for the table...how do you like it and how much per pound is it going for? Do they have Tilapia too?

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Of course they have tilapia. As for price, I didn't observe that part. I was too amused by the fact that people actually buy whole chum for the bbq.

13. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Milt said it best.....
    We've reached the end of the road
    fighting over the last chum.

I've seen the enemy and he is us.

Pogo

14. BRYORS

BRYORS Member

Ocean fresh Keta is great. Try it. I like it. When chrome they are a great eating fish. Bleed them right away, on ice, and you have a great dinner. When changed, uck.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    If I ever catch a chrome one, I'll try it on the grill. Otherwise, I'm not going to pay to support these guys netting the last of our chum runs.