Casting a 2 hander.............

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by KerryS, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Kerry,

No. The green Lund with ancient Evenrude jet. What were you driving?

The wind played havoc with my attempt to cast and fish the line I prefer. I could, and did, use my heavier rod with a Skagit type head and just throw the line out there. But I'd prefer grace over brute force, which ain't easily attainable cuz I'm not an accomplished spey caster. I found myself wishing I'd brought my single handed rod, because even with the wind, I can make the line do pretty much as I wish. But if I bring the one-hand rod, I won't improve my two-hand casting. Ah, the dilema.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

We were in the blue Smokercraft that launched right when you guys did.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Really? Must be a senior moment; I don't remember anyone else launching when I did. There was one other trailer behind a white vehicle tucked up in the brush when I parked, and a pickup with no trailer. That's all I recall seeing at the Baker mouth when I shoved off. Maybe next trip up.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Haw, there was a green sled with an older Evinrude jet that launched at Rockport when we did Sunday morning. I jumped to the conclusion it was you from your description. Thinking back on it I remember the boat was an older plywood sled from yester year. Sorry for the confusion.

5. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Richard,

For a long while as Spey rods became popular, I thought of them mostly as a novelty. I never had any difficulty casting and catching steelhead on the Skagit and Sauk with my old 8 1/2' fiberglass fly rod, so I was slow to be persuaded to the two-hander. Fishing the high bank side of the river was the only application that I believed gave a two-handed rod an advantage. And I still think the larger two-handed rods are thundersticks that are way over-geared for most steelhead under 15 pounds. I've been fishing there long enough to know darn well that any consistant angler is going to catch far more that are less than 15 than more than. It's the smaller two-handers that have persuaded me tho. A lot less line stripping (unless you use a head system), and the 2-handers sure toss size 2-2/0 flies more comfortably than my single hand 8 wt.

I think, however, that if I were as proficient with the 2-hander as I am with the single, the 2-hander would be more comfortable and efficient to cast and fish in windy weather. I'll report back once I become proficient with the darn things.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

7. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Exactly what I have found too :thumb:

;)

BG