Casting competition / contest questions - Long Beach club spey tournament

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by 4sallypat, Sep 29, 2017.

1. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Distance certainly matters but there's more to it in my opinion...casting at the right angle, actually getting proper turnover, etc. I swear half the dudes you see with a spray rod are one trick ponies when it comes to cast angle, and often times their fly never actually turns over so the swing is fucked

Yard Sale and fisshman26 like this.
  2. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

Angle is huge especially when casting far. I always talk about it with clients and doing demos. Turnover is also big of course but all the guys I know who can really huck it, of course have no issue with it either as it’s all part of the skill of being able to cast far

golfman44 likes this.
  3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Shorter controlled swings are best. There is no one angle that does this sometimes a shallow angle is best on a short cast sometimes a steep downstream angle with a long cast is better.

4. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

angles for big casts are easy....the faster the current the more downstream your angle of cast is. Even with short casts most guys are too square to the current and their fly is not swimming while they are mending......I like my fly to be fishing as soon as it lands and that's why turn over is so important....nothing more satisfying than a big grab on a big cast when your fly has only moved a foot or so!!!!

golfman44 likes this.
  5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

hmmmm not sure I entirely agree with that.. if your fly is in the water it is fishing! I suspect my differing point of view has to do with the different rivers we fish. I catch a fair number of fish when they fly is actually dead drifting or under only the slightest of drag before the fly starts to swing. However I tend to fish lots of rivers that due to very complex structure your angles and distances are constantly changing to hit each bucket just right. There is one run you cast straight across let the fly dead drift for about 50 feet then mend half the line so that it swings off the hinge of the line.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that you want to keep the fly in the strike zone as long as possible use the angle and distance that accomplishes that.

There is one run on the Umpqua I always fish twice the first pass I cover the whole thing but the second pass i slow down and use short casts with more cross stream angles and sometimes downstream presentations so that I can hit each little pocket with a nice slow presentation. Often on the first pass the fly is swept quickly out of these spots due to conflicting currents It's almost more like trout fishing,

it all really depends on the water..

6. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

This.

7. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

I did say “big casts” referring to big water as well. Big rivers with floating lines are my preferred way to fish and I do so year round.
    Of course if I was fishing smaller water and tips like you do Rob the method would be more along your way of fishing but personally I prefer the fly swimming rather than dead drifting no matter what method......there is no right or wrong way only personal preference that’s what makes this game so much fun.

8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I fish mostly floating line and unweighted flies as well, any time the water is high 40s or warmer. I just tend to fish different styles of rivers.

I haven't heard anything about the Thompson in a few years. I assume things haven't improved. Has it been open for you?

9. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

I have not fished the T in over 10 yrs as those poor fish need as much of a break as they can get.....the runs are just getting worse however and they still have open fishing for them....my take is only God can save your soul if you are still fishing for Thompson steel in the state they are and you harm one.

Whats a weighted fly BTW?????? ;)

Rob Allen likes this.
  10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

That's so incredibly sad. I always intended to fish the T. I guess I missed it.

fisshman26 likes this.