Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. RareBreedTM

RareBreedTM Redneck Extraordinaire

Considering that I just started less than a month ago... I'm proud of my 25 foot casts... my buddy who taught me hates me for it since it took him forever...

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I've been told by many that the occasion to blast a long cast is less frequent than being in the right place and providing the delicate presentation in close. That is good for me since I'm not capable of blasting anything but the back of my head when I'm trying to air it out long distance.

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I don't pretend to be a log distance caster, in fact, the main reason I initially started with the spey rod was to throw a longer line. And I am not pretending to be good at that either.

But on Sunday, I had my new Rio Gold on my 5 weight, and threw out the whole head without effort, and it measures out at 14.3m (or 47 feet.) It seemed that I had to do that because it s color coded and I figured I should at least get to the color change. Didn't catch any fish at that distance. The biggest fish I caught was with a stellar presentation - I was walking upstream dragging my EHC when a 15 inch cutthroat just nailed that thing....... I think my best presentation is called trolling....

Wayne

4. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    82 feet with my Echo Classic 5wt, with my TFO pro 3wt, i can only get like 60-70 feet, but its a helluva lot more accurate and delicate than the 5wt

5. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Who needs to cast when you are leeching in a pontoon, just drop the fly in the water and beging letting out line as you paddle away. Seriously, I haven't measured it, but when I cast in the mornings in my high school gym I stand in the middle of the basketball court and cast diagonally corner to corner with the bleachers in...the floor is about three basketball courts wide. It is not the whole line. I will be using my 3wt in on my favorite small stream in one week though, may have to cast 15'.

6. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Jeff, stop being so modest, I know you can bomb it out there with the best of em'!

7. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

One afternoon a dozen years ago, while messing around with my brother's stick, I managed to cast and shoot an entire WF6 line with a cheap old Cortland rod.
    I was much impressed with the economy setup he was using and it convinced him that his gear was fine and his technique needed work.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Rory, I'm no expert but I'm thinking that is a hell of a lot of line out on a 3wt. "Only get like 60-70 feet," How much do you want to get out and where would you use a 3wt that you needed more distance?

9. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Out of curiousity, why do you think one is more accurate than the other? Because of the rod, the line weights, or . . . ?

10. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

single hand?
    I have to be holding my mouth JUST RIGHT and need a favorable wind, but I've shot the backing knot on WF lines and on DTs too. Regular casting I can leave about 6-8 turns of line on the reel. That's with my 5/6/7/8 wt rods, built on IMX or FT blanks. Most 4 wt actions aren't made for distance casting, and they shouldn't be (IMHO).
    Thing is, I rarely catch fish at those distances in freshwater; mending and line management becomes a problem so it's really a useless point. Why bother dropping a nut to make a hero cast, unless there's bikinis on the shoreline or you want to impress a beginner?
    I think a more realistic way to phrase the question is what's the longest fishable cast that swims the fly well?

double hand? well, I'm not called the Spaz for nothing. ask again in a year. 100' is my best.
    (minus 10 feet for wishful thinking and 5 ft for bragging, that's 85') LOL
    Bob

11. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

You shouldn't have rules on a pissing contest. Into the backing on a single hand rod. Maybe 110 feet for a spey cast and 150 overheading a 15 foot rod. I've never caught fish more than 60 feet away.

12. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

The guys at Pacific Fly Fishers had a Scott demo on Saturday. I threw the 5wt. (can't remember the model) with the shark skin line 73'. They also had some targets for accuracy. I think I hit 1 out of 10 so there is room for improvement there.
    I liked those Scott rods!!

13. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    I've been practicing for competitions for the last 3 months now. Using a Loomis High Line Speed GLX and a SA Expert Distance Taper (120' competition model) my longest cast to date is 120'. I'm averaging around 105' now.

The major advantage I notice when casting on the water now is that it's much easier to present the fly better and reach out a longer cast when I need it. Nobody is casting 120' to catch a trout, but the good habits you form by being capable of casting that far really help your fishing.

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I average about 40' but on a good day with a tail wind I'll hit 46' or 47'.

15. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Hi, I'm nobody. Or at least I fished for trout, but it's boring. Plus, that's on a double handed rod. Matt, that's a good throw for a single hand and I agree with having good habits. Never had any though, but the slightest mistake is amplified a thousand times at a hundred plus. That kind of practice and concentration can tighten up any cast at 70 feet too.