Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Are you kidding me. Not only am I expected to carry a measuring tape and camera and scale to record the fish I catch, but I need to start taping out my casts as well??

Heck, I'm a fisherman. I catch 26" trout, 38" steelhead, and cast 175 feet on a regular basis. I don't need to measure it or prove it to anyone. It's my right, and it's actually expected of me, to estimate precisely and always tell the truth. The fisherman's truth that is :)

2. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

My logest cast deserves (i'm sure) a golfing........ "FORE!" ;)

3. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

I once went to the park and placed cones at different distances. My furthest Lawn Cast was just under 90'. For some odd reasons, I have a hard time duplicating near that distance when on the water. It may have to do with the slope on the beach or the break wall behind me or even the trees.....:confused:

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I'm not a caveman, so I don't need to beat my chest. I also don't need to measure how far I can cast. It happened a couple times when I participated in casting contests. That happened long enough ago that I have no recollection of the distances.

What I've learned about making longish casts on the lawn or on a casting dock is that it improves my ability to make 60 or 70' casts while wading ass or nipple deep in a river.

Sg

5. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I can cast far enough to catch fish, and if they are too far away.... I reposition the boat :)

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

A real casting distance that actually matters to fishing situations is how far and accurately can you cast with 1 backcast.

That is a competition I would participate in.

Or maybe how far and accurately you can cast sidearm, low to the water, under a pole.

Or maybe how far you can skip a clouser or popper under a dock.

There are some technical casts that actually matter in fishing situations but raw distance isn't usually one of them.

7. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

unless you fish the salt...

8. henry'sforkbum

henry'sforkbum New Member

Throwin 90 feet of line doesnt make you a good angler. The only thing you need to catch fish is a six foot drag free drift and a buzz. But since you guys are not around to verify any of this, I can throw my whole spool, plus about 20 feet of backing!

9. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I participated in a Danish Casting course at the FFF gathering at Ellenburg in May and that is exactly what you do. It is an obstacle course and accuracy course for fly casting. I really enjoyed going through the course and did much better than I thought I would. Some of the elements are very difficult. It required different size loops, left handed and right handed casting, reach casts and wiggle casts Etc. Etc. I know that just the little practice that I had on that course made me a better caster on the stream.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

10. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

It does if the fish are rolling 90 feet away from you.

11. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

I can cast about 40' with my 6wt TCR and Rio Outbound. Gawd, this setup just flat out rocks!

12. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

well hey, there you go- distance casts can give you a warm feeling in your tummy but making technically difficult casts at close quarters are what produces the fish...unless, as mentioned, you're in the saltchuck or in some anadromous situations, or something.
    For sheer brute force, I recall two Aprils ago punching an SA mastery into a howling wind at Lake Lenore with my TiCrX, with an indicator and a two fly rig, and catching a lot of fish when other guys weren't because they couldn't get out there to where the fish were that day; that's one of those situations where you just have to either get it out or smell the skunk.
    But one of my all-time favorite things is to take my little 7'6" 4wt, overlined with a WF5 to slow it down, and start crawling up a small stream.
    no matter what, it's all about the loop.

13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    backing baby! , with a happy gilmore cast:) plus when yard was your 1st fishing partner you learn to cast longer and better, i know of a few yard graduates' out there bombin' lines like a mad coke fiend with a teener in front of um', haahaha

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

When I did construction we'd all stand on a ledge with our tape measures in hand. He who could extend the most tape without it bending was the winner. For some reason it was always those big Stanley ones...must've been the thickness of the tape. Anyhow, nothing wrong with a good ol' tape measuring contest. Besides, I'm told the ladies like it...they're never impressed but it's always good for a laugh. :hmmm:

15. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I can cast to the backing with 90-foot lines, with 6-weight or larger rods. I don't, in fishing conditions, not even standing up in a boat on a lake, where longer searching casts multiply the water that one probes, because "underwear-ripping casts," as A. J. McClane called them are tiring. Usually, in those circumstances, I leave about a dozen turns of line on the spool. It wouldn't be possible without the double haul, which, oddly, hasn't been mentioned until now. I think that anyone who's normally serious about fly fishing should learn to double-haul routinely.

When casting to a specific lie or rise form, I maneuver for position and don't pay attention to the distance. Fifteen feet, sixty feet - whatever's needed. I used to mark floating lines at fifteen foot intervals, starting at thirty feet from the tip (one band, then two at 45 feet, etc.).

I'm a lot more concerned with distance when spey fishing. After all, we have a lot of time on our hands when swinging a fly through big rivers, hoping for one strike a day. Spey rods have a longer "middle range" than single-hand rods, but their reputation for great distances is exaggerated. Casting to triple figure range is a challenge. I've had the 120-foot marker in my hand after a spey cast exactly once, in 13 years.