Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    I like to use 3wts on beaver ponds and swamps, the 5wt seems too spook the fish a little more. a few weeks ago i was fishing a pond, there was a nice fish rising but there were floating logs that got in the way, so i got on a point about 80 feet away, wasn't able to reach it.

And the reason i think my 3wt is more accurate is just the rod fits my casting style better, its my favorite rod and i have the best feel for it. i have it longer than my 5wt and use it whenever i can. I just use the 5wt on lakes where i commonly need a 70 foot cast.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Sounds like you need to get that 3 wt you like in a 5 wt. :D

3. Rory McMahon

Home Page:
    i thought the same thing, thinking i might be able to pull off some pinpoint 100 foot cast with it, but nope, it just wasn't the same as the 3wt

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

That makes Zero sense. If you can cast a 3 wt 60 ft, but can't repeat a cast past that distance with the same rod in a higher weight, you're doing something terribly wrong mechanically, which leads me to believe there's no way you can cast a 3 wt 60 ft. 60 ft is a good cast on a 5 wt from an experienced caster. How many people claim they can cast over 90 feet with a regular WF line and 5 wt rod? I know what I'm doing and on a normal day nailing a 90 foot cast is a very good cast.

I would be willing to put up one of my rods that you can't cast a three weight 70 ft. Just saying, because you put yourself out there.

5. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Will you make that bet for me Adam...

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Yes, but its 175 ft. for you. :beer2:

Just saying, because you put yourself out there.

7. Rory McMahon

Home Page:
    I never said i couldn't cast it as far as my 3wt, i could cast it about as far my echo 5wt. I know 60 feet is pretty far to cast with a 3wt, keep in mind i had to fish lakes using my 3wt before i saved up enough money to get a 5wt, so i spent plenty of hours in my backyard trying to get my cast out past 50 feet.

I dont know if i have ever made a 70 foot cast on that 3wt, all i know is that i have gone past 50 feet by a ways. I put a mark at 50 feet on my line and know i have made cast with that mark out in front of me in the water.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

With a statement like that you are going to burst someone's bubble. What ya mean 100 foot casts are a chalenge with a 2 hander? A lot of people claim to make those casts on a regular bases but I tend to agree with you. 100 foot casts with a 2 handed rod are a lot like 20 pound steelhead; both are far rarer then some would like us to believe.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Hopefully it is the rod you have buried up your arse...

Just say'n, because you put yerself out there....

Actually, that wouldn't be such a good deal for Rory - that's one rod I wouldn't touch...with a... well a 10 foot pole.. or would that be a 10 foot rod? What weight? Never mind.... :beathead:

10. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

With my 7wt tfo ticr standing on the dock I can double haul a cheap Sci angler 8wt line well into the backing(85'line plus backing past the tip of the rod). I tried the same setup but with a peach 444 and couldn't get the distance. Just got an Airflo 40+ to see if I can get it even farther ;)

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

The airflow immediatly added 10 ft to the cast I was getting with a 444 on my 9-6 mid flex rod. Thanks for matching that up Brian AATF. Sweet Line :thumb: Hate the color though.

12. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

6wt TCR + Rio Outbound...Surely, you mean 400'

13. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

I personally think that everyone should be rocking out the lawn-bomb casts, getting as much distance practice as possible...as well as accuracy practice, short practice, bending and mending cast practice...it all equates to the same thing.

Wherever the fish are, and whatever the situation, you are prepared.

Folks that say "you don't need to cast that far" generally can't and don't, so they think that there is no advantage to distance. If you can do 100' once a day, 90' 1 out of 20, and 80' on a regular basis, think how easy it would be to get 60' or 70' when you really need it.

As for the chest-beating thing...well, whatever. If it's true, it's just a fact. Folks that can bomb them out there should be proud of that.

Plus, once you make the cast an automatic, semi-involuntary response, you have tons of time to work on that other thingy...the "angling" side of the equation.

Full lines,
    Mark

14. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

A 90-100 foot cast will never become automatic/semi involuntary for me. It takes a concerted effort. Kudos to those who can do it in their sleep.

15. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Y'all need to get a BII-mx and an OutBound...

Nothin' says "involuntary" like that setup. 90' just means you still have 30' left to cast...