Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

I'll take that bet. :)

2. troutfanatic

troutfanatic A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.

Yep, have to agree with that. Yard helped me the more with my fishing style and fishing techniques though.

Best cast: Backing usually on nothing lighter than a 5 wt though. Spey casting is improving and thats all I can ask.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I know you would, Richard. And, now I will not take that bet with you. :D

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Same here.. I hit the 90's after some warm up, but anything over 95' is a fluke... Practice, practice, practice, and move an inch up at a time :hmmm: Man, I miss the days when I could improve my distance with a little help and time by feet rather than inches :(

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Distance casting....huh. :hmmm:

So, let me ask you young bloods, how far can you cast opposite handed? You know, if you are right handed, how far can you cast left handed? Who of you have even tried it for distance?

6. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    im sort of ambidextrious, i can cast pretty accurate lefty but dont have much distance probably around 30-35ft (3wt), any situation where its cramped enough where you can't cast righty, your not gonna need to cast more than 15 feet

7. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Opposite-hand casting practice is something I am sorely lacking on...did it a few weeks ago with the spey while fishing, found it easier to "backhand" than to switch.

Same with the single-hander. I fish out of cramped boats in high winds, front and back seat, always casting with my right. Haven't (yet) hit myself, the dog, the gunwale, or my partner...timing and plane, timing and plane.

8. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

I loved Josh Root's reply. Reminds me of the joke Ron White tells of the two engine plane he's flying in and it loses an engine. A hysterical passenger asks how far the other engine will take them. White's less than comforting reply is "all the way to the crash site"

9. salt dog

salt dog card shark

There are situations where having the option of casting left handed will put you on fish where a right hander has to walk away. Here's two:

You are on river left, standing on a deep undercut bank with heavy brush to water's edge, and the biggest fish of the day shows itself 45 ft upstream next to the bank.

Your guide has the bow pointing at a mangrove island with the wind coming 15 knots over the stern, with an 8 lb. snook showing 60 ft off starboard side at 2:00 O'clock. You're throwing a lead headed streamer on a sharp ass No. 2 hook. There is a half submerged tree in the water preventing you from poling down for a direct shot. You can either turn your back on your target to back cast to the fish lying in the slot between the mangroves and the tree limbs, or throw a tight line left handed for money. That cast will get a reaction from your guide, it did from mine.

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Oh ya, I forgot the most important third situation:

Your right elbow is inflamed and it hurts like hell just to lift a cup of coffee, and your doctor is telling you, while injecting cortesone with a square needle, to lay off using your right arm if you want it to heal in time to take your Florida/Bahamas trip....... and the little voice in your ear is talking about Coho and Steelhead swimming up the river right now.

11. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I do not know how far I can cast. All I know is that I cast far enough to catch fish !! :clown:

12. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

60 feet (personal best) with off hand, average 45. But Clark at Puget Sound Fly Co is a mutant. I've seen him throw 100+ with either hand... Sick, just sick...

13. Jake L

Jake L New Member

I've always had good enough success back-handing I haven't had to go lefty... yet... I'll probably have to slap myself using my left hand when one of these days when it costs me a good fish. So I ate some humble pie today, when under ideal conditions out in my float tube, I could only CONSISTENTLY get to 30-35... Now who do I call for those lessons...

14. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

I'm guessing I could cast 60-70' with a 5wt, maybe more with the right line. When I was in my single-handing prime (12+yrs ago?) I could do 70-80', and a few times, with a tailwind, put an entire 90' line out the tip and turned it over. I still have an Orvis CFO reel I won in a casting contest in Columbia, MO around 15 yrs ago. Needless to say, the competition paled in comparison to what goes on out here...

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I doubt I qualify as a young blood, but I'm a relatively newbie to fly fishing. I am more comfortable with the reel in my right hand for control, so when I taught myself to fly cast, yes, painful but true I taught myself, I learned casting Left handed. When I was demoing my Echo 3wt at Penninsula Outfitters Bill noted that I casted left handed then I showed him that I could cast right handed too. I probably have more distance left handed but better fine motor control right handed so the presentation may be better. I don't really know which goes out further, but I can tell you if the wind makes for a better left cast I do it and if a righty is called for I can bang that out too.

I can eat equally with the left or right hand and probably can do a few other things about the same too...like type (incase you have not noticed) with every finger used for every post.