Casting help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by R00k, Jan 8, 2014.

1. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

I tried to teach myself to fly cast and fly fish back in the 1970's. Admittedly, this was before the internet and the proliferation of YouTube videos and fly casting books. All I had available was a small pamphlet by Jim Green of Fenwick on how to fly cast and the best fly rod that Fenwick made and a matching scientific Angler reel and fly line.

The short version is that I could not teach myself to cast from that pamplet. I put the fly rod and reel away and went back to spin fishing for trout.

Fast forward 3 years to 1979 when I moved to Wausau, Wisconsin and signed myself and my wife up for a weekend Fenwick Fly Fishing Course about 150 miles away at Seven Pines Lodge. Seven Pines Lodge is where the TU film, The Way of a Trout was filmed. My instructor was Gary Borger.

http://www.lrctu.org/movies/TheWayofaTrout/

http://fishfliesandwater.com/2009/03/21/the-way-of-a-trout/

What I didn't know was that Gary also lived in Wausau, where I had just moved to from Utah. Gary Borger at that time was not well known. It was before his videos, and before FFF casting certification which Gary helped set up.

In that one weekend, which cost me more than the best Fenwick graphite HMG fly rod, I learned to cast and fly fish. It was worth every penny. I was fly casting in 30 minutes.

Since then Gary and I have become best friends, and I have learned a lot more about fly casting.

Not everyone gets a Gary Borger as an instructor, but I am convinced that everyone can benefit from PROPER instruction.

R00k likes this.
  2. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

I thought you didn't like listening to drivel?

Old Man and triploidjunkie like this.
  3. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Jeez...it's supposed to be fun. Kinda reminds me of those poor souls who think their efforts on the golf course are really supposed to mean something. It's RECREATION, not rocket surgery. If I wanted to work at something....I'd be at WORK.

Who am I to talk? Just an old fart with five decades of what I'm sure are bad casting habits..who still manages to catch a fish or two...enjoying many a day on the water, without the assistance, and scrutiny, of heavily acronymed and supercilious experts.

R00k likes this.
  4. R00k

R00k Part time rookie

Thank you!! I have had those same thoughts lately... That I just need to get on the water and "do it!"

Ill get after it!

Thanks guys!

Mike

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    By chance, you wouldn't happen to be a veteran would you?

6. R00k

R00k Part time rookie

No, I'm not... Why do you ask?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I could've got you some free lessons with a certified casting instructor if you were.

8. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

It is easier to learn correct methods than it is to UNlearn incorrect habits... spend time on a river, watch others, ask questions, find an instructor &/or join a Fly Fishing Club & ask, ask, practice & get feedback.

9. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Never too old to learn, Jim.
    I had never heard of the "Grass Leader" before. I might try it out on the lawn when the spring comes around.

10. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Practice, practice, practice. Try it on some water with fish in it! I still am not that great of a caster but I do catch fish once in awhile:) I refused to pay someone to teach me something when there are so many books and videos out there. Good luck!

Bob

11. later_Peter

I've taught a number of beginning fly fishing classes... the only book/video I found that helps a true beginner is Mel Kreiger's video... other than that I found that getting a personal critique of your technique can shorten the learning curve by YEARS... truth.
    One can fish & catch fish with out any technique at all... but, to have a reasonable success rate (on purpose, some skills need to be involved.

12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

What constitutes a 'reasonable success rate'? On many a water the cast has far less to do with hooking up fish than presentation...and by 'presentation' I mean selection of fly, depth, retrieve, patience, and a recognition of probable productive habitat under different conditions.....all things that are learned by time on water. I've observed many a proficient flycaster not enjoying a 'reasonable success rate' mainly because their fly is spending most of the time being cast...and recast...rather than in or on the water.

There's nothing more entertaining than a proficient, but impatient, fly changing water flogger seeking the perfect cast and the perfect fly...while a more pedestrian flyfisher manages, somehow, to catch more fish.

Hell, I know many a novice flyfisher doesn't even detect a fair number of subtle takes, and can only see or feel the more overt surface attacks. That feel only comes with experience.

While there's nothing wrong with getting casting technique critiqued by a credible instructor, the implication is that the novice shouldn't even pick up a flyrod until coached, and that's just plain silly.

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I'm self taught and probably suck. I was only half-kidding about learning to cast in allies behind bars. That was usually the handiest place to lay out some casts while the old man was sucking down suds.
    Now I've adopted some weird casting style derived of having little backcast room, and no two hander. I can accurately get sixty feet out with ten or less feet of backcasting room. It actually feels weird when I'm in a boat or otherwise have room to stretch out some line.

Krusty likes this.
  14. later_Peter

[quote="Krusty, post: 901487, member: 19926"

While there's nothing wrong with getting casting technique critiqued by a credible instructor, the implication is that the novice shouldn't even pick up a flyrod until coached, and that's just plain silly.[/quote]
    if that's the way it read, that's not what I meant. Practicing, no matter how, is going to bring benefits... however, if someone is asking for help (the reason for the post) or someone is offering help... should help be accepted or just go on doing what ever you think is moving in the right direction? Like Elaine dancing... she's having fun, after all.