Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Casting...is it just me?

917 views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Richard E 
#1 ·
I just bought a Sage RPLxi 9ft #8 from a friend and have since felt that in using this rod my casting has gone downhill. I was previously using a GL3 9ft #8. With the GL3 it almost feels like I was shooting the line farther. Do I need to drastically change my casting style/technique now that I am using a fast action rod. I have been casting a SA steelhead taper #8 on both rods. Thanks for you guys' help.

Matt

#2 ·
I don't know a lot about either of these rods, but I believe that Sage's RPLxi is a fast action rod and you will cast it differently than you would a medium or full flex rod. Those differences can be very subtle but result in big changes in loop control and casting distance. There are others here on the board that know much more than I do but I think that you'll find that you'll have to learn the new rod just as you did the G. Loomis.

HTH,
Mike

#4 ·
I know that jamming your thumb can hurt :rofl , but, when you remember to do that with a fast action rod, it can really help load it further than the normal "breaking of the wrist." :rofl :rofl

I just bought a rod that is faster than my previous one. In order for me to load it, I have to really apply my thumb when I break my wrist at the end of my cast. And this is all in addition to my hauling on the line. On top of even all that, I've had to fine-tune my overall timing to make it all work in sync. When I do get my timing right, I'm amazed at how smooth and easier shooting line becomes.

#5 ·
I just bought one myself in a 9 weight. For me, my casting stroke is much more exagerated than a slower action rod. It took a few casts and watching the back cast unroll to figure that out and when I did everything came into place. I use the Air Flo 40+ extreme distance line for the salt and it really loads the RPLXi nicely. I highly recommend it has done nothing but aid in my casting.

LoopHiTech

#8 ·
Is the RPLXi really considered a fast rod or a medium fast action......because it was rated below an XP...which many might say is on the lower end of fast action rods but the new Xi2 is rated faster (higher) then the XP. I have an 9'6 8 weight RPLXi and a 9'6 Ibis and they are basically the same in feel and casting...on lawn casting only.... I have never fished with the RPLXi:dunno

#9 ·
NO.

I have the same rod. Once you get the action down, there is nothing better. It's a rocket! It will launch big flies in big winds with little effort.

My trout rods are soft medium action rods. It took me awhile to learn to cast my Rplxi. I was close to selling it, but my persistence paid off.

The rod requires a double haul and excellent timing. I really concentrate on the tip of the rod. It's tempting to want to muscle the rod, but that will only wipe you out/burn out the wrist. Shorten and speed up your casting stroke.

A lot of practice has paid off, I love this rod. If I had the dough I'd switch my trout rods to fast action to beat the winds.

That rod is a bear no doubt, but it can be tamed. It's worth it.

#10 ·
ive played with rpl rods, as well as other faster stix. personally, i seem to have the timing very naturally and find myself fishing water my buddies miss. today, i toyed around with my dads 9 wt he made for AK kings. feels like a 7 wt, im thinking. very nice rod. i pick er up and let er rip. on the lower SF stilly.. with a 5" clouser with phat dumbells ( alaska remember?) 1 false cast and i hit the other back. my dad mumbles "holy hell" under his breath. he cant get it 1/2 way across because of the timing thing. i dont know, im going loopy, and therefore to bed.

#12 ·
Albe,

Hey Man - I had the same problem with a 9ft 8wt RPLxi. It was driving me mad! I called up Sage and did some digging. Here is what I found.

The RPLxi is a fast action rod (on the slower side of that spectrum). The RPLxi is their top line saltwater rod. However, the RPLxi was SPECIFICALLY designed for 50 ft casts or LESS with a floating line.

This is information that I got from one of the technicians from Sage. When I told him that I was having casting issues and I am confident that its NOT my casting....he laughed and said - you're steelhead fishing with an RPLxi arent you. I said yeah - and then he told me a story.

I have however corrected the deficiency by lining my rplxi with a 7wt floater. Distance and the general sloppiness of the RPLxi went away. Now I dont mind working that rod at all. But, if you are throwing big flies and thinking about a tip - you are going to do nothing with that rod but get mad, get blisters on your hands, and make your shoulder scream bloody murder.

I hope this helps!

#13 ·
I should add - if you're main effort is steelhead and you want a machine that will blast out a type 8 tip and big ol' nasty fly.....All I can say is Double Haul a 9'6" XP 8wt. Oooohhhhh sooooooooo sweet! Again, according to Sage.....thats what they had in mind when they developed the XP. I must say those boys hit that one RIGHT ON!

#14 ·
that 908 xi is a killer stick. ive fished it in 30mph winds at night stalking monster stripers, and it not only was accurate, but could throw a crapload of line in these conditions. in relation to all the rods on the market today, it is not exactly a "fast" action rod. it requires a little more patience in timing your back and forward casts. its not the easiest rod to pick up and cast beautiful loops to start off with. my advice with that rod- patience. dont muscle it, let the flex of the rod do the work, its got a strong butt section for fighting fish as well as launching line. i was throwing an 8wt SA quad tip with it when i had it. so give your casts a little more patience, and if youre throwing tailing loops with this specific rod, try "rounding" out your front cast by kicking your elbow up as you shoot the line out, ive found that helped my friend that had a problem throwing tails with his xi. remember- technique cuts wind, not the rod. best of luck, and if you ever need any advice or instruction, let me know.

#15 ·
Sounds to me like you're not loading the rod.

It's a bandaid fix, but you might consider going to a WF9F line, as someone else earlier recommended. It will load the rod up more easily, slow it down a tad, and make it more like your GL3.

And, yes, the RPLXi is a faster rod than the GL3, and is considered a fast rod (and, again, as someone else noted earlier, it's at the lower end of the 'fast' rod spectrum).

Also, learn to get your single and double hauls down. Once you work out that stuff, that RPLXi will shoot line like a rocket!

Sounds like you might be a candidate to attend the FFF Casting Expo in September . . . there will be a number of casting clinics and casting instructors there who could help you. Seriously.

Cheers! :thumb

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.