Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Casting Ponds

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  hikepat 
#1 ·
Living in San Francisco, I've had the opportunity to utilize the Golden Gate Casting Club's ponds on a regular basis to improve my casting. Now I'm moving back to Seattle (woo hoo!!) and am wondering is anyone aware of any casting ponds in the Seattle area?? If not, I suppose ball fields and other open grassy areas will work, but nothing like practicing casting on water by, well, casting on water.

#3 ·
The best casting practice is to not waste your time on some pond, GO fishing where it is real!
Casting is probably the least important of the skills needed to fly fish and probably the most overrated.
I have found that I hook far more fish at 45' and closer than out past 60'. Yes there are exceptions and I know of some in particular where if you cann't get 60 plus feet of line out you aren't going to get a strike, but those are exceptions.

Dave

#4 ·
Wetline,
I would argue your point that practicing casting is a waste of time. If you happen to have good casting skills, that's great but one should not minimize the importance of casting to others.

Fly fishing is about casting flies, and being able to cast both short and long distances. Those folks who spend a good deal of their time practicing casting, and perfecting their casts, catch far more fish than those who don't. As a FFF certified casting instructor and one who has been practicing this sport for more than 20 years, there still isn't a day that goes by that I'm not learning something about my own casts and/or trying to enhance them just a little more.

Too many folks end up heading to the river in hopes of catching fish when their casting skills need vast improvement and time would be better spent on that endeavor alone. They go the the river, flail, and then walk away frustrated and without catching/hooking fish. I see this all too often when I'm guiding. The time to practice casting is NOT on the river. It will most likely ruin the fishing for yourself, and possibly for others, especially in crowded conditions.

For those that fish for trout exclusively, long casts may not be required, especially if you're nymphing on small streams. A 10-15 foot cast may be all that is required. The tables turn if you're chasing steelhead/salmon or anything in salt water. If you can't cast 70+ feet all day long, you're not in the game. Poor casts which either spook fish and/or don't land a fly properly can't make up for good fly selection.

The best spey casters in the world routinely practice many hours each week. I've watched Andy Murray (House of Hardy) practice his spey casts before giving a casting presentation just to make sure his timing is correct. I've also witnessed Steve Choate(World Spey Casting Champion) practicing his cast on the Kalama on numerous occasions, I'm sure he practices almost every day.

As to the original point of this post, I have a perfect casting pond near where I live in Toledo, Washington. The pond is quite large, probably 15 acres or so. It has boat docks which serve as a casting platform. On my days off from guiding, I spend countless hours improving various pieces of my casts.

The beauty of the pond is that you don't ruin your fly lines as easily, and they let you practice your roll casting. IMHO, roll casts are the most important casts that one can learn. Having the ability to roll cast 70+ feet is a skill that one cannot underestimate the importance of.

Steve Buckner
www.northwestflyfisherman.com

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like there isn't a "casting club" per se (which typically has ponds that they hold tournaments/instruction on), whereas here in the bay area they're fairly prevalent (oakland c.c., central valley c.c., golden gate c.c., etc.).

While I've found that there is a lot of focus nowadays on fly casting, to me it's not overrated. For me, being able to focus on improving my casting while not distracted by fishing has paid fat dividends. I'd even say that as an estimate, in terms of improving casting alone, one hour spent only practicing is worth three to four hours spent fishing. For me, practicing gives me confidence that while fishing I can complete an effective cast to reach a specific seam, holding lie or punch line through the wind, etc.. That's just me, I think everyone has to determine how important it is to their fishing.

#6 ·
Steve/Tim Rajeff may have some additional information on tournament casting. As you're probably aware, they are down in the Vancouver, WA area. They will be at the Sandy River Spey clave to the best of my knowledge.

I think it would be a huge bonus to either find or start a casting club here in Washington.

Steve Buckner
www.northwestflyfisherman.com

#7 ·
Steve, I guess I did minimalize it and I agree it is important to know how to handle a line and rod. If you get down to it everything about fly fishing is important for consistent success.
If a person starting out can learn to focus on being accurate from 35 to 45 feet then they can go out and catch fish in most lakes and streams.
Things that I put above great casting skills would be line, leader/tippet, fly selection and fly presentation techniques.
Like you I have been fly fishing for 30 plus years and the art of casting is a life long pursuit in itself. However when I work on different techniques now it is out on the water while fishing. And too I am a single hand fly guy and haven't taken on the challenges of Spey rods.

Dave

#8 ·
Green Lake has designated casting piers on the north end of the lake. There are even distance markers in the water you can use for practicing your accuracy.

Fly casting is one of the most important skills one can have IMHO. I try and practice at least 4 times a week and I have a ton to learn. I just took an advanced casting class and it was a real eye opener. I spey cast and really the only single hand fishing I do is on the beach. I can boom line out with ease mainly because this has been really the only thing I have ever had to do. However the first 2 days were spent on accuracy and close in technique and I was blown away with how much I have to learn and correct.

You are correct that most fish on in that 20-45 foot range but you would be surprised with how many people are not accurate at those ranges. I know I have a lot of work in that area. Practicing while fishing does nothing for you. You are focused on the fish and not what is happening with your mechanics.

Case in point look at who won that silly fly fishing competition on OLN. It was the Rajeff brothers who are two of the best casters on the planet. I do not think that was a coincidence.

Funny most of the things you list as more important than casting are directly related to how well you can cast and control a fly line:

line = you gotta be able to cast it

leader/tippet = can turn one over without good casting techique

fly presentation techniques = cannot present a fly softly or in the right spot without good casting skills. Fly presentation is directly related to your casting skills.

Back to the casting docks for me,

-sean

#10 ·
This won’t help you much but I thought you guys (and gals) might find it kind of funny. My girlfriend moved to Bellevue last year and we used to always walk down to the park. A couple times during the summer we walked down to the park and I decided to take my rod and “road line” to practice my cast as well as help my girlfriend with hers. We ended up casting in the pond/waterfall at the park. I am talking about the park that is right across from the mall. I recieved a lot of laughs, points, and pictures taken of me those few days, hehehe. Just thought I would share.

Sly

#11 ·
I too visited the casting ponds during my short stay at Stanford. I wish I would have stayed a bit longer than my 9-month in grad school. There are several docks on the west shore of Lake Washington down the hill from the Mount Baker neighborhood. South of the Leschi marina but north of Seward Park. Green Lake is ok too, if you can avoid the crowds. Or, rent a canoe at the UW boat center and cruise around under the 520 bridge.

#12 ·
I will once in awhile just head down to a local beach or dock and just practice casting. I will normally use a dry line and a dry fly. Once in a while I will catch fish that way but its rare since I am only concentrating on my casting and since they fly is not in the water much I really do not expect to catch anything. Did this last night at Seahurst Park. Just working on diffrent cast. Did not catch anything but since I never even got my feet wet I really did not expect to.
At least I do not get the crazy looks from the people who live in my building when I am practicing in the parking lot that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.