Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

casting practice at green lake

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  mr trout 
#1 ·
Went there yesterday, middle of the day. First chance I've had to let out any line in a while. Right as I tie on my wooly bugger it starts to rain. Needless to say, I didn't catch anything. Was fishing from the dock, too.
I am so sick of this rain. Normally, it doesn't bother me. But I just can't stand it anymore.
Anyway--at least I got some good casting practice in. Starting to be able to get a decent roll cast out. Well...maybe not quite decent :)
Sorry this report is so useless.:(

Jason

#4 ·
I fished there last spring just in shorts by wading around up to my knees and got a whole mess of big trout. It was a few weeks after they stocked it and they were hitting like crazy in the evening. Bait guys couldn't even get a look from them. It was intersting having joggers cheer you on as you catch fish. It made me feel like a TV host or something...

#5 ·
I've tried fishing from the pier, but it looks to be far from the best spot in the lake. The lake bottom seems a bit too artificial, though I have seen some 12" rainbows pulled out of the northeast corner of the lake. When it's a bit nicer this spring, I plan on bringing my tube around the other side of Duck Island at 8 a.m. on a Monday when I have a "cold". I'm sure there's good fishing in Green Lake as long as you don't snag a sportsbra, skateboarder or baby stroller on your backcast (actually I think i'd enjoy accidentally hurting a skateboarder while flyfishing).

#8 ·
Nathe said:
Trev, we are going to have to skip class one day this spring and just see how many trout we can catch from sun up to sun down! Go wooley buggers!
right on... I want to get into some of those fabled tiger muskies or whatever is in there, maybe some carp too.

#10 ·
Jason Rolfe said:
If you're stuck to the dock or bank, what do you do?
I fished the NE corner most, and just waded about thigh deep and cast out there. It seemed there was a rather steep dropoff or ledge out just about 20 feet or so. Couldn't really tell since the water doesn't have the best clarity...

#12 ·
Jim Swan said:
With all of those ducks and other water fowl crapping in that lake I don't think that I would want to wade around in my shorts(swimmers itch).

But as for the casting in the rain,it is how you become a better caster by practicing.

Jim
There was the casting in the rain, and then there was the casting in the wind. Got some good practice at that too. The wind was howling through there for a while. Nothing like making what feels like a good cast, only to have it blown apart by a solid gust.
good times

#13 ·
If you want some serious casting practice close by, try the salt at Carkeek Park. The wind is almost always in your face, sometimes you need to get the fly out there a ways, people will stand right behind you and watch, not knowing what fly fishing is (derr), and there's some really, really nice fish in there if you're patient and willing to try something new. Oh, and the Sound is way prettier and more interesting than Green Lake.

#14 ·
(actually I think i'd enjoy accidentally hurting a skateboarder while flyfishing).[/QUOTE]

what do you have against skatebaorders? ive skated for the past few years and and fished pretty much all my life. i enjoy both and dont plan on giving either of them up for a long time.

soap box on

Dont be so quick to judge just because someone rides a skateboard and saggs their pants does not mean they are just some punk druggy kid that would rather go ride a board than go fishing. i'm tierd of being looked down on because of the way i choose to get around town.

soap box off

Todd

#15 ·
toddsbernina said:
Dont be so quick to judge just because someone rides a skateboard and saggs their pants does not mean they are just some punk druggy kid that would rather go ride a board than go fishing. i'm tierd of being looked down on because of the way i choose to get around town.

soap box off

Todd
I agree, but I still dont get why you would want your pants hanging half way down your butt... Of course, you would probably feel the same about my wearing wranglers...so I guess it is all personal...
That said, I have learned that first impressions are really hard to overcome and are generally formed before words are spoken...which is the unfortunate truth, despite how open minded a person says they are.

#17 ·
I went down to the dock at the S end for some casting practice with my new Spey Rod last month...brought my dog for the heck of it. I worked the Spey line until I was getting pretty good at a snake roll and a double spey, while my dog sniffed around at goose poop on the dock. Fun way to start the day for me, but my dog ws sure sick afterwards:hmmm:

I caught a nice 15" rainbow in March a couple years ago. caught it on a grey ghost trolled behind my inflatable.

#18 ·
toddsbernina said:
(actually I think i'd enjoy accidentally hurting a skateboarder while flyfishing).
what do you have against skatebaorders? ive skated for the past few years and and fished pretty much all my life. i enjoy both and dont plan on giving either of them up for a long time.

soap box on

soap box off

Todd[/QUOTE]

I don't really know what the stir is. Saggy pants are not new. It was the thing to do in my teenage years also and I'm 70. And skate boards are not new either.

Kids today think that what they are doing is new,well it ain't. It's all been tried before.

Jim

#19 ·
Umm yeah I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and I live on Cap. Hill, so I'm just going by what I see everytime I go to QFC. I have nothing against skateboarding as a sport or saggy pants (although, please, do they know that they look the same way all the mulleted Whitesnake and Poison fans did in 1996? Are Korn even around anymore?)... I usually just have a problem with the spoiled skater kids from Bellevue skating down Pike Street arguing whether 35th N will have any new $40 t-shirts for them to try on. I don't make pre-judgements, I've made observations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.