Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Casting technique for Steelies? Which should I learn?

2K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Evan Virnoche 
#1 ·
Hey all. Just was wondering if I could get some input on which of the many casting techniques for big rivers I would be best served learning? I really can only standard cast, steeple, and a really ugly roll cast having lived in Utah/Virginia fishing smaller waters. I know it's opinion to a large degree, but having met a number of guys on here who are very knowledgable I thought I would look to get some personal insight.

Cheers,
Dave

#36 ·
Nobody has even mentioned a switch rod yet. Maybe we should outline the merits of them so we can get the whole picture out there. I fished the Kalama last week, first with a 13 foot prototype that I was not prepared for and then with my 12'6'' spey rod. My partner was using a switch and I wished I had brought one.

#37 ·
Your 9 wt is a great choice for winter steelhead (and although it is on the heavy side, it can be used for summer steelhead as well).

Smalma (Curt) got it right and offered you some terrific advice. In my opinion, you would be far better served by learning the type of water steelhead are likely to be found in along with the double-haul cast and stick with your single-hand rod. Yes, I use a 2-hander exclusively for steelhead and fish steelhead 98%-99% of the time; but you are only going to be here for a year. Therefore, do yourself a favor, save you money, don't buy a 2-hander (or a switch rod), use your 9 wt single-hander, and go fishing. Keep in mind that up until the late 1980's, people fished with single-hand rods for steelhead. The 2-hand revolution didn't really happen until the mid-to-late 1990's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.