casting

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Zack Dudley, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

I cast right and reel left. It feels more natural, but another reason is when you have a hot fish on and you are running down the bank of a river with large rocks or other debris I like to use my left hand for balancing as I maneuver and holding the rod in my dominant hand. As I stumble around my left hand is there to break a fall if needed, damn fish make you work some time...CHUM! :beer2:

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I'm one of those that casts and reels right handed,( Ido cast left handed when needed). Switching hands seems so simple when I can reel way faster with my right hand. I't takes a split second, most of the time I'm not even aware of it happening. Whne a fish is running right at me, it's a no brainer

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Thank you Preston. For too many years friends have made fun of and even chastized me for casting and reeling with my right hand. It always felt more natural to me. I don't ever recall losing a fish when swithching hands.

Now I can tell them all to get bent. :rofl: Besides usually catch considerably more fish than they do. ;)

4. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

Ha nice! im going to switch mine next time i go out to see how i like it ha, i was trying to make a poll but i couldnt figure it out ha

5. oldskool

oldskool Guest

I've only tried it (lefty) when I couldn't cast normally because of structure. I do like fishing with lefty's though. Reason being, if there is a spot that I can't get a quality cast to right handed that requires distance, my lefty friend can usually get there.

However, I wouldn't want to be a lefty. I hear left handed rods are hard to come by.

6. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Very true! As a lefty I can vouch for that, which is why I use a right handed rod.

7. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    I always thought it would be funny to master casting left handed and then enter a casting competition. If I won I could say: "I am actually right handed" in honor of The Princess Bride.

8. oldskool

oldskool Guest

Ya, but then you would need a SIX fingered rod along with the left handed,...I'm pretty sure they don't make one of those.

9. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    I've found that if my mechanics and timing are off on my dominant side (R) that a switch to the left forces me to think about my casting technique, which normally results in the "oh yeah, dumbass" lightbulb coming on.

Being able to cast from both sides should be a skill every one should work towards, IMHO.

10. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    And, "you killed my father, prepare to die."

11. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Yeah, try being left-handed AND female. How much trouble do I have finding a left-handed women's rod?;)

I remember taking this casting class and having the genius instructor ask me why I was holding the rod in my left hand.

I told him it was because I'm left-handed.

12. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

:rofl:

I was thinking about this thread a bit...being a lefty, but casting with my right hand. I think for me, more dexterity is needed with my left hand for stripping and line manipulation. Who knows maybe I am just weird, ok, no maybe.

13. oldskool

oldskool Guest

You're in trouble. You might as well just switch to gear fishing. bawling:

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Right is right. I've sold and/or loaned reels to anglers who are left hand retrieve. I ususally do them the courtesy of unspooling, reversing bearing directions and respooling. Sometimes putting on a lot of backing and a line with left handed winding is a long chore. In some of those instances left winding was so painful I had to take a beer break.

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

I'm betting you grew up using right-handed casting/gear reels . . . I grew up using spinning reels, and a cast right/retrieve left 'feels', well, right.