casting

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Zack Dudley, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

This is where those STH cassette reels have no peer . . .

To change direction, flip over the gear, re-install the gear (super simple), flip over the cassette, and done. Don't have to mess with the line or the backing. The STH cassette reels are awesome loaner reel . . .

2. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

There really is no wrong or right, whichever works.

3. Porter

Porter Dancing on Water

I'm right hand dominate, but I reel better left hand...why? My left hand has certain assignments it performs well, it releases the emergency brake free, it holds the nail before the hammer strikes, it holds the screw before I do the power drill, it holds the fork while I carve the roast, it scratches my left ear better than my right hand, and if you have been doing something left handed for some time, it will naturally be better than the right hand ....and Mumbles don't go there :clown:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Yes my friend, you've got me interested in those cassette types. Next time my father in law is here on his way from NH to AK I'll check his out a bit more closely. He uses, and has used, those STH in two different sizes for ages. He travels with two reels, a BUNCH of cassettes with lines up and down the weight spectrum and three to five rods. He is one of my globe trotting fly fishing idols. Besides that he is super cool. You've got me thinking.

5. Colin

Colin new member name

wow zack, look at the thread you started, nice. I dont think it matters what hand you use just get the fly in the water and in front of the fish.

6. Colin

Colin new member name

No kidding, I see this alot it seems like you would have to switch hands while fighting a fish. There is already too much going on for my capacity.

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Yes I did, the old ambassador and Pleuger medalist, still have both!!

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I swing both ways, man.
    :eek:very metrocastual.:rofl:

9. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Since I've determined I'm a better caster left handed, I took the time to respool my line and setup my reel for right hand retrieve so I could try the left-cast right-retrieve thing. Wow, was that a mistake. I was fumbling with the reel like it was my first bra-clasp in high school!

Casting left still goes great, but my dominant hand simply can not deal with little clockwise revolutions. I kept trying to reel counter-clockwise, and it wasn't ever smooth. Guess I'm going to have to learn to deal with the rod handover.

For all you lefties (including six handed lefties and women) there is

10. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

If Roland Martin endorses it, it has to be GOOD

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

So let me get this straight... For you guys that cast right-handed and reel right handed, that means that when you hook a fish, you switch the rod to your left and and reel with the right. So then, when a fish runs at you and line slackens up, you immediately "switch" the rod back to your right hand, fumble with picking up and quickly stripping in some slack line with your left hand?----Then switch back to your right hand to reel up the slack and get her back on the reel? Are you frigging nuts!!!! Totally screwed up! It's WRONG I tell you! You got it WRONG!!! :D :D :D :ray1: You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!!! Sometimes! But it appears hopeless for some of you! :D

12. wolverine

wolverine Member

Either hand here. When I was a kid it seemed like I always had one wing or the other broken so I just would cast with the good arm. I never developed a back hand in tennis as I'd just change hands on the racket.

13. Preston

Preston Active Member

Let's see, I guess you must feel that the same Roderick Haig-Brown you quote must have been "frigging nuts" "totally screwed up" and "WRONG"? I'll guarantee you that he cast right-handed and reeled with his right; the fly reels of his day offered no other option. For those of us with a modicum of physical coordination (on the level, say, of having the ability to walk and chew gum at the same time) experience no difficulty at all with it.

14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Gees Preston, don't take it so personal. I'm the one to have the modicum of physical coordination since I can't do the "switcharu" I was refering to. I was giving you guys a hard time with smiles on my face! I'm not so young anymore, and my first fly rod and reel were right handers as well.... But I switched to left hand reeling long ago when they were first available. You should give it a try. I'm sure Roderick would have done the same! I believe he was quite adaptable to the conditions of his sport. :)

15. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Fly casting: cast right, reel left

Spin fishing: cast right, reel left

Bait casting (level wind): cast right, reel right......:confused:

The thought of trying to reverse any of these patterns would give me nightmares...and those fishing near me, too.