Casting!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Jan 7, 2012.

1. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Bruce, take a look at my left hand single spey, what your saying seems to be more evident in my left hand...I suppose it's the right hand muscle memory/habits that are in need of reprograming.

Okay last video for awhile. Thanks again,
    James.

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

View attachment 47173

not sure if I'm doing this right

...But seriously folks.
    James, great thread, great read so far, and thanks to everyone who's contributing.
    We set aside a couple hours on the river today to try to get some vid, conditions were less than optimal... but we got a couple clips to share.

My biggest mistake of course was trying to cast skagit, Andersson underhand, modern scandi, and a long midhead all in the same morning!!

3. James Waggoner

Bob, the only thing I'm sure of is "Be careful!". Looks pretty cool, but I know I'd only attempt that without a fly.

Went out today, and applied some of the tips from earlier. Thanks Bruce, I worked on my lift and slowing down and really felt I got some good head way. I think the biggest thing I achieved today was my vertical shotgun lift, and how if done slow the rod loads deeper and the head comes out cleaner with way less effort. Not that this is new, but without experiencing it for myself, I failed to see the importance of "SLOW". Once I get a couple more things dialed in I'll post up a progress video.

Thanks everyone,

James.

4. SpeySpaz

4" leadeye bunny, 12' T-14...
    crash helmet! I call that my Spaz Poke. An absolutely useless cast.:rofl:

anyhow, I'be been playing with lifting from the bottom of the rod too, here's today's suboptimal results, but I see this lift thing as me taking baby steps and trying to break shorthead habits.
    View attachment 47182

I think I may need to keep the rod lower , lift even more from the butt, and let my hips take the line out. I see a definite hitch in my giddyup here.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Kinda what I was thinking as well...looked like it passes close to the cranium.

6. James Waggoner

Bob, nice loop! I say yeah, lift from the butt more. Bruce adviced me to get a copy of Derek Brown's Spey casting video from Poppy, which I did. If you bought it just for the lift and single spey it's still worth every penny of $30. It demonstrates the "Shotgun Lift"; Pretty simple, just lift it like your bringing up a shot gun to shoot. I'm stopping about nipple high with my bottom hand before I sweep. Nipple high seems about appropriate for me as Bruce suggested my upper hand should be around nose height. Derek also puts strong emphasis on the importance of a vertical lift, then sweep. All in all very productive day on the water after I studied that video.

That short head scandi style lift with the tip, your trying to break, Derek Brown refers to as "Hinging...very bad".

James.

7. SpeySpaz

well, you don't do the river left version of the SpazPoke on windy days, that's for sure:thumb:

wait... wait...
    here's a cast with 15 ft of overhang. check it out. FF 45 head, 47 ft long. 18' leader.
    View attachment 47221

as you can see, I love the absurd.

compare to something a bit more normal.

8. SpeySpaz

Agreed, James, seems like our longbelly adventure is rolling nicely, thanks to Bruce and the other experienced guys. Makes me grateful.
    This thread is great fun, hope no one's annoyed at the whimsical crap I'm sprinkling in... I am serious about improving my longstroke casting.
    I'll tell ya, jumping styles around today was a bear. a fun bear, a challenging bear, but a bear.

9. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Bob- with all due respect, that cast is insane and dangerous and unnecessary. But like your enthusiasm. Thanks for posting the clips.

10. SpeySpaz

speaking of dangerous, insane and unnecessary, I repaired my link in post #22, showing a cast with 15 feet of overhang.

but first, an underhanding moment: 15' Stinger, FF45 8/9:
    View attachment 47222

11. sashjo

sashjo Member

Bob,
    Wow. You have me ducking at the computer!

A few years back, I read an article on drowning. As I recall, head trauma was a huge factor. If you keep posting vids like that, Olympia will pass a law requiring a helmet while spey casting.

12. SpeySpaz

guys, guys.
    Fly follows the line, line follows the tip.
    Always know where your tip is.
    I've never hit myself doing that cast, and never been stupid enough to try it in wind.

13. T Dave

T Dave Member

I wanna see that whacko cast 10 times in a row with a 2/0:rofl:

14. SpeySpaz

15. sashjo

sashjo Member

Just expressing concern! Prevention of TBI from a lead eyed bunny.