Casting!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yuhina,

Public apology for my uncontrolled outburst. I have a thing about effective communication, and when I see what I think is a communication breakdown, well that's what I should have said. I sent a PM.

Sg

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

used to be some folks just stayed in their houses with piles of newspapers and dozens of cats, but now...
    we have The Legend.
    Channeling GA, no less! While GA is still alive!
    I think we have reached a new level of unique thought here.
    I am frankly entranced.

Mark, I am your humble servant. I kneel at your feet.
    Teach me, Master, I beseech you!:rofl:

3. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Steve,

Thanks for the kind message. As you point out there are several lessons for me. I do really appreciate it! Will move toward that direction and I totally agree with you that some miscommunications were become burdens between our discussion. I will try to improve it next time.

4. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    Excellent post friend.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I climb up onto the top of this slash pile, look around, and realize someone's missing.

James! James Waggoner! The guy who started this thread! check in buddy. Did your B&W Powerlite arrive yet?

I remember several guys were having a good ol' time, posting up clips of ourselves and getting polite and insightful feedback from guys who really know their stuff, and we were posting back on progress we had made, and a good time was being had by all.

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  7. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hello All.
    Just got in from work, and i say lets get back to the post James made, i am as much to blame for the pissin match but i asure everybody in no way was i trying to discredit a fine Speycaster and Gentleeman Goran sure is.
    Now, James! James Waggoner! The guy who started this thread! check in buddy. Did your B&W Powerlite arrive yet?

I sent a DTX rod to a Pro Guide in BC and it has yet to arrive, i hope your B@W does'nt take as long James.
    Cheers Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

8. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Hey! Got home today and found a new rod in my living room, it's a beauty! I'll be on the river tomorrow giving it a whirl.

I'll report back with the results.

It's a beautiful rod...so for the first time in my life I'm actually thinking I need to tape a rod together, it just looks powerful! Yet, surprising light.

James.

9. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    Hey James, what line are you planning on casting with the new stick?

10. James Waggoner

Well to start a Carron 75' Jetstream 10/11 with and without tips. Mumbles lent me a line that I'm going to try too.

11. James Waggoner

A couple of differences I noticed right off about this rod that I've never seen in a US Two Hand Rod:

Hook Keeper - Okay, looked funny at first, but that's so very practical. Only looked funny because I don't own a DH rod with one.
    Ferrel connection - Not only wraps on the female portion but also on the male side. I can only imagine this makes the rod stronger at the connection.
    Stripper Guide position - A good foot lower than the usual. I'll let you know how I feel about it when I cast it.

Three Piece rod - Not really differnt just never had one...three 5' sections...I need a new rod and reel cast!

James.

12. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi James,
    Sounds good and i am sure you will have fun with the new rod, they do make great rods.
    Please remember that the rod will be rated for UK lines, so you may need to go a line weight heavier than US rated lines, but most now are done in grain weight, sometimes the line can feel a little light for the rod.
    The Carron line wil be a breeze on that rod.
    Thanks Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

13. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

That Carron 10/11 being a next generation line should be dead on for that rod

14. James Waggoner

Well here is my new rod casting report:

Rod is very different than anything I have and am used to, but it has exceptional power and feels pretty good. Timing and tempo are so very cruicial...too fast is a real "no no" or should I say "NO-GO"!
    All I know is my Sages and Guidelines are very forgiving compared to this rod. Though it's got a tight sweet spot it is truly sweet when you hit it. I can say without hesitation, I love this rod and know through use I'll be a better caster because of it.

I'll write up some more after somemore practice. And post up some video once I find my camera.

James.

15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Overline it and it will become sweeter. B&W knows how to make great rods but we in the US tend to underline... nearly everything. Load it up and watch the line roll out.